scary first dive--appreciate some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smolderinglime

Registered
Reaction score
I went on my first two dives today for my OW class. We had suited up to go and everything seemed fine. Two people ahead of my buddy and me got into the water fine. Just as my buddy and I was stepping in, a huge wave just sucked us in. He managed to get back on his feet, but I kept tumbling in the waves. I'm tall and not very strong, and certainly not totally comfortable with all my gear. (This was my first time ever being in the ocean). I couldn't get back up, my instructor and his experienced diving friend kept telling me to crawl. Everything was just so heavy and the beach was uphill, everytime I picked myself up to crawl I would be sucked back in. I wasn't panicing yet, until the instructor's friend kept screaming at me to get back up. She was scaring me and I felt so disoriented and out of energy. I had the reg in my mouth and I don't remember exactly but it was either pushed out by the waves or when the instructor grabbed me. I choked down a bunch of water and some sand. It got really scary and I was trying to pull myself, but I was so worn out and the reg was out. I could still breathe because my face was out. The hysterical friend put my reg back in my mouth, but she just would not stop screaming. EVENTUALLY I heard the instructor saying they should take my weight belt off. They dragged me up a bit and I finally crawled back up. The instructor decided we needed to go to a different beach and I did my two dives fine. But, it was a freaky experience and I don't know how I did two dives afterwards, because thinking back it's traumatic. I can feel the waves and imagine the swooshing sounds and the muffled screams of panic a few feet away. I think the response was a little slow and things could have been done more efficiently to help me. I wrote this, wondering if what was done was right and if it was the only thing that could have been done and just what should I do if that ever happens again?

You'll get more comfortable with the kit and conditions and get used to this sort of thing.

I am also a fairly new diver. I've been certified for many years, but haven't done many dives. It is always disheartening to hear stories such as this. I look at the environment I have to learn in, and wonder how some people manage to actually get through open water classes in the environments they have. I won't comment on what should have been done faster or better. I have no idea. And I realize this may sound harsh. But I would either ask the instructor to get rid of the "friend" or I would find a new instructor. Probably the latter. This seems like a TOTALLY unsuitable location for a first dive. Sounds like it would have challenged a fairly experienced diver.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but I'd suggest trying to find a locale, local or otherwise, with calm water where you can just relax and learn. You'll still need to learn to deal with the elements where you live if this is where you will be diving, but learning shouldn't have to involve getting slammed by the surf.

I wish you all the best as you battle this. And I'm glad you moved to a new location and got your dives in. But the instructor should have realized this entry would be beyond a new student.

smolderinglime:
I went on my first two dives today for my OW class. We had suited up to go and everything seemed fine. Two people ahead of my buddy and me got into the water fine. Just as my buddy and I was stepping in, a huge wave just sucked us in. He managed to get back on his feet, but I kept tumbling in the waves. I'm tall and not very strong, and certainly not totally comfortable with all my gear. (This was my first time ever being in the ocean). I couldn't get back up, my instructor and his experienced diving friend kept telling me to crawl. Everything was just so heavy and the beach was uphill, everytime I picked myself up to crawl I would be sucked back in.

I think the response was a little slow and things could have been done more efficiently to help me. I wrote this, wondering if what was done was right and if it was the only thing that could have been done and just what should I do if that ever happens again?

Sounds like you had a bad experience...my advice is to talk to the instructor and let him know how you felt. Other than that you'll get used to it.

Peace

smolderinglime:
I think the response was a little slow and things could have been done more efficiently to help me. I wrote this, wondering if what was done was right and if it was the only thing that could have been done and just what should I do if that ever happens again?

Welcome to SB!

Chalk this one up as a learning experience....focus on the positive - you went and completed your OW dives after this happened! Next time you face a tough entry, I'm sure you'll handle it differently. It'll get much easier with experience.

As for the slow response time and what could be done differently...can't really give advice. If you were struggling in the surf, maybe everyone else was as well and may have had a tough time reaching you. I've had my buddy go down on rocky exits and I had a damn tough time getting to him to help.

Shore dives can be difficult, even without surf. It can be slippery, rocky, bumpy, hilly, etc. I still fall down once in a while, but I pick myself up a lot easier now... :wink:

On my first O/W dive, in Tobermory (freezing and with 7 mm full wetsuit, hood, gloves), I fell trying to walk over the hills and rocks to get in. I tried so hard to get up and I couldn't find a way. The tank was dragging me backwards and it was hurting my back. I wish someone had told me to crawl. The instructor kept verbally encouraging me to get up, but said I needed to get up myself. I eventually gave up and finally a DM helped me up.

If I do shore dives, I try to pick sites where there is a reasonably easy entry. I also find it easier to gear up in the water if at all possible. For example, by walking the BCD/tank and fins down and placing them on a large rock, etc. where I can then slip into them more easily. If you're on a fairly level surface, we usually walk in backwards with fins on. Also, my large male buddies are usually more stable than me and are always willing to lend a hand as we walk down together.

But my favourite solution? Boat diving! It's usually so easy - you'll love it!! :D

Ahhh, I remember getting certified in Monteray California. Huge Wetsuit, gear, new place, new at diving!! What a blast!! At least you got some experience out of the day and still did your OW too. My suggestion...learn in a place like the Carribean!! But hey, your already a "Learned" diver now...Right :wink: It's good to have those humbling experiences though...it reminds you of what could happen. Good luck and keep diving.

Chad

First of all, welcome to SB.

Secondly, the first dive could not have been truly traumatic because you went on to do the later dives.

Personally, I think you did great. You had a problem, as tough as it was, and then got back in the saddle and moved forward. If you continue diving, you will become more accustomed with the environment and you won't have that sort of awful experience. Of course, you will eventually have some other awful experience...but as you gain experience, you will deal with it better.

Remember, it's not falling down that matters, it's how you pick yourself up.

Jeff

SCUBA is full of misadventures. They make great stories.

If your air is turned on and you can get your reg in your mouth you can breathe! If you can breathe you can crawl, roll, or hang onto a rock until your buddy can try to help.

Most importantly, observe and judge the conditions and decide whether YOU can handle them before getting in the water. You can always say no to a dive today and dive again another day or at another location. A dive site that is routine and enjoyable for one person can be hazardous and dangerous for another. It is easy for an instructor or dive buddy to misjudge someone and believe they can handle what for them seems simple when in fact it will be traumatic for their new buddy. If it LOOKS dangerous to YOU, don't dive it.

Dive safe and have fun,

theskull

I'm 50 dives into this, and still think getting into and out of the water is the hardest part of diving. Trying to keep your balance in moving water, shifting footing and with an enormous, unbalanced weight on your back is NOT simple! I have fallen a bunch of times (got knee pads on my dry suit for just that reason) and have had instructors convulsed in laughter watching my antics trying to get back up.

Sorry you got scared, but falling down in the water just happens. You learn a couple of things: Before you put a foot in the water, have a breathing apparatus of some kind (snorkel or preferably regulator) in your mouth, and never set foot in the water without your BC well inflated. Those two things will keep your head out of the water, and everything else can be managed somehow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom