SC divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi! I'm Jess from the Clemson area. I'm AOW certified and have dove Jocassee and the Hot Hole at Keowee, as well as some in Myrtle Beach, Florida and Australia. Always up for more diving!

Hello all you Scuba nuts,

I am located down Charleston way. Been enjoying scuba for 15yrs now. This season my hobby took me offshore Charleston, Murrels Inlet SC, Wilmington NC, Venice FL, Jupiter FL, Boynton FL, and in the Cooper River Charleston. Some of the spots were visited twice. Next week I am headed to a fossil bed offshore Murrels Inlet. It is called the Offshore Ledges. Using the Express Scuba boat.

Here are a couple of photos of my latest scuba finds:

100_7380-1.jpg

Fossilized Scallop

34700_1632149008308_1374146939_1644274_4448263_n.jpg

Albino Lightning Welk

Well if you don't mind a diver from just up north then I would like to introduce myself...

Name is Lee and started diving just over a year ago with just over 100 dives... I see many of you head up to Wilmington and I do as well or really just a little south. I am always looking to dive so if any of you need an extra diver then please send me a message. Wife dives as well but not off the Carolina coast!!! Me, heading out for some more teeth this weekend!

lee

We found some stunningly beautiful water offshore Wilmington NC on Aug 8, 2010. Could not believe how flat it was. The diving was EXCELLENT. The water underneath the boat was Caribbean blue. Check it out. It was a great day of diving. We used a nice dive boat provided by Cape Fear Dive Center.

Hi guys,
I am a jersey diver but im going down to Charleston for Thanksgiving. I really wanna dive the cooper and find some fossils and such. If anyone is going to be around Charleston late in the week/weekend please let me know and we will get wet. talk to you all soon!

Hi im lee I live in florence been diving a year dove MB about 10 times most ok viz not that great. Wrecks cool just got back from mexico great drift dive.

USMCNJ .... Here are some links for you. May be too late for your schedule. I am a warm water diver or I would go with you. My season typically starts in May and ends in October.

Charleston______________ Charleston Scuba

Cooper River____________ Cooper River Dive Charters

Cooper River ____________ Back Water Diversions

Hello Nofish,

I dove MB for many years. Viz on the inshore wrecks is typically brown or green and sometimes only 5 feet or so. On occasion you will luck out and get some clarity. The dives further offshore produce blue water because the matter in the water (from the rivers dumping into the sea) does not traverse that far offshore. If you have not noticed already we have brown water, green water, and then blue water. It mostly depends on your distance from shore.

Check out this fossil I found offshore North Myrtle

100_2222.jpg

I am a BIG fan of drift dives. I really like it when I get to carry the flag. Makes the dive extremely easy with no concern of being picked up.

ps: I have also found that doing an ascent with the assistance of an up-line connected to a dive flag, makes the ascent VERY easy to control.

Dive-on

thanks a lot guys for all the insight and it helped me on my research and dive planning. i did 3 dives on the cooper and each dive was unique. the first dive was off Mepkin Abby road and I found some bottles, one i would guess was from the 1700's or around that time frame. the second dive was off of Park road just south and on the opposite side of the river. I found 6 sharks teeth and 2 vertebrae from some type of fish. the third dive was at the end of State Road S 8-408. this dive I found an old cutty pipe almost intact, only about 25% of the tobacco bowl is missing. I would also guess that this is from the 1700s too. i also found a few old bottles as well, one said federal law prohibits refill for resale. that was so the old bootleggers couldnt reuse the bottle for their own brew. On Tuesday I am going to bring the cutty pipe and old bottle to my friend who is an archaeologist and get his opinion on the artifacts. Once I figure out how to add pics I will post some. but over all I had a great time and google maps and talking to locals made my dive planning a little bit easer. once again thanks for all the insight to diving the cooper river.

Back
Top Bottom