SC divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may be coming down there either saturday around 530, or sunday morn. Haven't made my mind up yet. I'll have my bud with me hopefully, but you'd be more than welcome to dive with us. We both certified with Mike and Cory as well. I did my advance with Reese at BT though. Both are good places, sparkle city is just a little far for me to drive though.

Hey everyone....went to Jocassee this past weekend had a great time! This was the first time my son and I have ever dove this Lake. We did four dives off the chartered boats from the Scuba Shop in Spartanburg. Had a really good time! Did the Wall...The Junk....and kind of drifted from one part up from the cove to a rocky out branch closer to the wall...All interesting stuff. Was fun to get the feel for the new gear we bought and get an idea of the diving in Jocassee. Have a few questions though. I noticed on the way back to the boat ramp that there were several divers diving from the shore. There was also a couple tents setup with what looked like places to put your gear. Was this a common thing at Jocassee each weekend or was this a setup for students? Do you guys meet at the boat launch and just dive from there? Just curious as I would like to do more diving in Jocassee outside the standard dive areas. Any comments...let me know. Also....Sorry I missed ya Sunday Sandman! I was so tired Sunday...Don't know which one made me more tired...the diving or the Sun...must have been the sun because I am so ready to go again! Anyone up for this weekend. Also...If I want to get some air...where is the best place? Bills place around the corner at "off the wall" AKA Jocasse dive shop?

Dan

Yea, I was up there sunday, but don't think i would have been a good dive buddy. I was having problems withmy ears all day. Went to the doc onmonday and i have barotrama in my right ear canal. He put me on steriods for a week. I dunno how i got the trama but it was swollen, maybe from bouncing off the bottom of mypool at the house? A good many divers use the remote boat ramp to dive from. That's where I was. Was gonna hit the forrest but never made it that deep. I rarely ever do the wall anymore. It's cheaper to dive the ramp. lol

I will be at Isle of Palms from June 27 through July 4. I would like to get in 1 day of offshore diving. Any recommendations as to dive sites, operators, etc. will be greatly appreciated. I have advanced open water certification. I am the only diver in my family, so if someone wants to invite me on a dive trip, I would love it. If that sounds like I am being pushy, then I appologize. I believe that it never hurts to ask. The worst thing that can happen is that someone says "NO".

I am coming to Charleston the first week of September and looking for recommendations. Does anybody have any? I am an instructor looking for some good, fun diving!

theres a thread in the florida forum about diving with new divers. thought it'd be a good idea to put one up in this forum as well. if anyone wants to dive, or set up a local trip to dive IE: williamton, moorehead city, or even the lake, we can do it here or through PM's

I'm not a new diver, but I'm fairly new to Lake Jocassee. I'm looking for a buddy on Friday. I'm diving with Off The Wall on July 11 and 12. I'll be there on Friday the 10th. Anyone up for a dive on friday the 10th?

Hey everyone....went to Jocassee this past weekend had a great time! This was the first time my son and I have ever dove this Lake. We did four dives off the chartered boats from the Scuba Shop in Spartanburg. Had a really good time! Did the Wall...The Junk....and kind of drifted from one part up from the cove to a rocky out branch closer to the wall...All interesting stuff. Was fun to get the feel for the new gear we bought and get an idea of the diving in Jocassee. Have a few questions though. I noticed on the way back to the boat ramp that there were several divers diving from the shore. There was also a couple tents setup with what looked like places to put your gear. Was this a common thing at Jocassee each weekend or was this a setup for students? Do you guys meet at the boat launch and just dive from there? Just curious as I would like to do more diving in Jocassee outside the standard dive areas. Any comments...let me know. Also....Sorry I missed ya Sunday Sandman! I was so tired Sunday...Don't know which one made me more tired...the diving or the Sun...must have been the sun because I am so ready to go again! Anyone up for this weekend. Also...If I want to get some air...where is the best place? Bills place around the corner at "off the wall" AKA Jocasse dive shop?

Dan

Anyone can dive from the diver's ramp, it's not just for students and instructors. It costs nothing except for the park entrance fee. There are actually 3 ramps, the 2 on the left (as you face the water) are for divers only, and the one on the right is for boats. However, divers can use the boat ramp to load and off-load their gear.

The cove just to the north of the diver's ramp is also reserved for divers. No boats are allowed, but the boat operators often don't see (or ignore) the buoy markers.

There are several training platforms, small boats and other underwater "attractions" in the area that are available for exploration.

You can rent tanks, gear and get air-fills at Bill's Off The Wall Charters. Presently his shop is open Saturdays and Sundays from 8:00 to 6:00. You can also rent tanks at the large store / gas station (I forget the name of it) that is between Bill's and the lake. I think they get $10 for tank rentals and they want a credit card number as a deposit.

Jocassee Outdoor Center is between Bill's and the lake. I think the Scuba Shop has a little shop in their basement.

Headed to Jocassee tomorrow with my husband. He is finally taking scuba lessons from Bill. I'll be so glad to have a built-in dive buddy. Hey . . . maybe I'll even get to dive occassionally. Imagine that :blinking:.

I just finished my OW on Lake Murray, my last dive was today. The water temp is about 88F on the top, we dove to only about 35ft was the deepest and visibility was about 7-10ft. There were some nice sized bream, but I didn't see any catfish, although I was trying to just get use to being in open water for the first time. We were at the park on the Lexington side of the damn.

Where are some other places on Murray? I am free this entire week and would love to rent some equipment and take the boat out to log some dives!

I think I'm probably late getting on this forum but I figured I would at least introduce myself. I live in Columbia and am getting certified in a few weeks. I've technically finished everything but the OW portion but that's a long story. I can't convince anyone to take classes with me so I'm hoping to meet a buddy or 2 on here!!

Back
Top Bottom