SB INVADES THE KEYS... July 14-16, 2006!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what is a mountain?

some say, you're not a mountain if you're not the tallest in the land. but except
for the tallest mountain, that would leave no mountains.

some say, you're a mountain if you think you're a mountain, but that would make a mountain out of a molehill that thinks it's a mountain

what then, friends, is a mountain?

our friend Wikipedia:

A mountain is a landform that extends above the surrounding terrain in a limited area. A mountain is generally higher and steeper than a hill, but there is considerable overlap, and usage often depends on local custom. Some authorities define a mountain as a peak with a topographic prominence over a defined value: for example, the Encyclopædia Britannica requires a prominence of 610 m (2,000 ft).

seeing as the highest elevation in Florida is 345 feet, we must, alas, conclude that
Florida has no mountains

only on Wednesdays and Saturdays

Walter:
I've been to Lake Wales, the closest they have to a mountain is Spook Hill.
Go to Bok Tower Gardens and look at the plaque near the tower explaining how "Iron Mountain" is the highest point in Florida.

No, it's Tuesdays, Thursdays, and alternate Saturdays. No wait, that's my dating schedule.

And if the east coast has no mountains, what are those gigantic things I are the beee-jesus out of myself gliding down in the snow during the winter in the Blue Ridges?........oh, yeah, the bunny hills...dang. Okay, I'll stick with diving. :)

eandiver:
Go to Bok Tower Gardens and look at the plaque near the tower explaining how "Iron Mountain" is the highest point in Florida.

BAH! That belongs to the "THE PATCH" practicing ground of the FAMU Marching 100!

H2Andy:
seeing as the highest elevation in Florida is 345 feet, we must, alas, conclude that
Florida has no mountains

Is that the trash heap on Sample Road?

KBeck:
No, that's Mt. Trashmore, dear. Get with it. So. Florida mountains are SO much more interesting than Colorado.......you can actually drive your CAR through them....and offload your trash at the same time!!!!!! Talk about efficiency!!

(Are you guys back in town?)
I was just down for a week... Got back to the pleasant weather yesterday. I got 8 dives in 6 days though. We'll be back on the 11th for the invasion. :D

OK my friends, I had my first beach dive yesterday with MB and am on my way to being certified (scuba that is) for the Invade the Keys trip! I loved it, felt right at home… I am Pisces and my Chinese sign is Water Dragon and today feel like a fish out of water..... need to get wet again!
Really looking forward to actually diving with you guys and gals instead of following with only my snorkel, see you soon.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom