SB hospitality in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drydiver

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a friend at GTMO who was slacking on finding dive buddies for me (she is not a diver) for my recent trip. Sooo, I used the search function here and hooked up with ChunksJR, who was a most gracious host.

Diving there is not exactly like vacation diving, there are a lot more rules & paperwork. He took care of all my dive paperwork before I arrived, usually handled by an office open 2 hours a day, every other day.

He worked nights and dove days with me, crimping his sleep schedule, I am sure.

Dive start/end times have to be called into dispatch, which he did on every dive, I wouldn't know where the phones were or who to call.

On my first giant stride, mask broke, he borrowed one onsite from another dive buddy which she graciously allowed me to borrow all week.

He loaned me his car to pick up gas while he worked overnight.

He navigated all the dives, without getting lost once, hell of a navigator for having only been certified 3 months.

He picked great dive sites!

I am not used to rocky shore entries and surface swims, he was patient and at times kept me from being swept away into the waves and rocks.

He coordinated a boat rental for some night dives and when the ladder was useless, hauled me back onto deck, which I could NOT have done myself.

He let me lead him around at night without lights to see my phosflourescence.

AND
he was a good buddy, no stress diving with a stranger, priceless.

I am mentioning this here because he will be deployed to Norfolk, VA in July and it would be great if someone could pay it forward, like he did for me, and show him the ropes of the local diving there, sites, equip config, boat etiquette, etc which is different from what he has experienced so far.

Donna

Donna,

Can do - easy.

I am stationed out of NAS Oceana (Virginia Beach) and would enjoy having him join up with us for diving. We have some, admittedly cooler, dive sites off the coast. Lots of wreck diving opportunties in the 60-110fsw depth. Visibility is usually good to great, but we always have a safe and fantastic time.

Safe diving,
Wil

I dont know much about the wreck diving off Va beach, (would like to try it this year), but if the ocean conditions dont permit diving there is a quarry , Lake Rawlings he could try. Post on here or send me a message and we can meet up to go there.

He knows about Lake Rawlings already, I actually spent my first year diving there before moving to Philly and hope to make it down one weekend this year.

D

Wreck diving off Va Beach includes everything from the Artificial Reef projects (Tower and Triangle), foundered vessels, WWII ships (most of them have been demolished into debris fields, but not all), to older wooden Sailing vessels, and barges. Some have penetration opportunities, all have something to offer a diver. Most wrecks are within 35nm of the coast and have regularly scheduled dive charters.
Further up the eastern shore offers the same opportunites, though fewer dive operators and charters. There are a number of great spearfishing wrecks off Wachapreague. The largest Flounder (34-35in) I have taken have been off the eastern shore!

Safe diving,
Wil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom