SB Diver Littlejohn - Rest in Peace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That link will archive in a week most likely so here's the write-up in for posterity.
I only met John once earlier this year at the Manatee Trip last January 13th with Bird's. Our afternoon trip got scrubbed so he and I hung around chatting for a while. I walked away thinking what a nice guy. I wish I could have shared a dive with him.

'Little John' Moore's passion in life was for outdoor sports

Katie Powalski | Sentinel Staff Writer | November 7, 2008

John Leroy Moore lived, and ultimately died, doing what he loved.

An avid fisherman and scuba diver, Moore worked for the weekend -- spending all his extra time and money on the water.

Known to fishing buddies as "Little John," Moore stood 6 feet, 5 inches tall and weighed more than 250 pounds. His stature, and big personality made him a popular fixture at fishing spots such as Mosquito Lagoon and diving spots such as the Keys.

Moore, 55, of Orlando died Saturday at St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach following an unknown illness contracted while scuba diving in Jupiter.

"The only reason he worked was to make money to support his hobbies," said his nephew, Mark Moore of Orlando.

Born in Baltimore, John Moore moved to Orlando as a child when his father was transferred. He graduated from Lyman High School in 1971 and served with the U.S. Marines for four years.

Throughout his career, Moore spent time working for the Winter Springs Police Department, Martin Marietta and Motorola. At the time of his death, he was employed at Sprint.

But no matter what his occupation, his passion was always for outdoor sports.

An enthusiastic fisherman, Moore liked to steer his Maverick flatboat 20 miles offshore.

"I always thought that it would be the Coast Guard calling to tell us he was lost at sea," Mark Moore said. "Johnny just got carried away when he was out on the water."

For years, bass fishing was Moore's specialty, but he had become more involved with salt-water fishing in recent years.

For the past five years, Moore took his love for the water and expanded it to scuba diving. His final dive was one in a series of 20 needed to earn his scuba teaching certification.

When he couldn't be on the water, Moore spent time on the golf course.

"Fishing was his first love, followed closely by scuba diving and golfing," Mark Moore said. "His ideal job would be a night shift, so he could be outside during the day."

Moore's love of the outdoors didn't stop him from being close with his family. "Our family has had no greater loss," Mark Moore said.

John Moore is survived by his mother, Faye Moore of Fern Park; his brother, Stuart Moore of Winter Park; and his sister, Janet Gibson of Longwood. Seven nieces and nephews, and three great nieces also survive.

St. Richard's Episcopal Church, Winter Park, is handling a memorial service.

Katie Powalski can be reached at kpowalski@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-3266.

Last edited:
I am raffling off a charter in honor of our friend Little John.
this will be a 1/2 day trip for 2 anglers on the Mosquito Lagoon.
each raffle ticket will be $10 each
You can buy 1 or 10 if you want to increase your chances.
heres info on the fishing
Orlando Fly Fishing - Mosquito Lagoon Fishing Guide - Central Florida Fly Fishing - Orlando Fly Fishing.com
Mosquito Lagoon Fishing Guide - Mosquito Lagoon Redfish Charter - Indian River Fishing - Captain Bryan Pahmeier - Get 1 Charters Fishing Services

All donations will go to Johns family OR Divers Alert Network in Johns name.
If you would like enter send your name & info to
get1charters@earthlink.net
and I will send you the paypal info.

Once I get your paypal info I will add your name to the list.
Winner will be chosen next Saturday, I will contact winner personally and will list winner here

let the buying begin

Went to Little Johns memorial service. It was very nice. And he has a loving family. He will be greatly missed. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:
As far as I know the family is making arrangements for it to be cared for. The Lake Mary Scuba Club is also considering a memorial plaque to be placed at a dive site. proposed locations are: Ginnie or Devil's Den (with permission of course); and the ocean (Pompano/Ft Lauderdale or keys) these are the places John loved.

Look for more on the plaque following Saturday's service.
Please avoid underwater plaques at these locations. While we all love the water, we need to remember that as divers, we pride ourselves in underwater conservation, which involves not leaving anything behind. The ocean might not be a bad idea, is there's lots of real estate, but a place like Ginnie is very limited space wise, and you know the old saying "What if everyone did this?".

I also went to LittleJohns Memorial Service, it was really beautiful and touching. What really touched me was that many people here from this forum where able to make his service to pay thier respects to LittleJohn and his family. The outpouring of love and respect from BlueWaterDiving, CastaWay Scuba and so many others from here would make John so very proud that he was a member of this diving community.
He will truley be missed by many.
Becky

Please avoid underwater plaques at these locations. While we all love the water, we need to remember that as divers, we pride ourselves in underwater conservation, which involves not leaving anything behind. The ocean might not be a bad idea, is there's lots of real estate, but a place like Ginnie is very limited space wise, and you know the old saying "What if everyone did this?".

If the decision is made to not use any of the springs for a plaque placement, maybe try to rename the site of his last dive and post a plaque there? I know that won't be easy, as tons of people already know the site by whatever name they know the site by, but if the dive shop and/or charter he was with for his last dive were to start advertising trips to that site as "Littlejohn Reef" or "John Moore Ledge" or whatever was ultimately decided, I would think over time the name would catch. I'm certain new divers to the area would ask "Who was this named after?" which would allow John's name and memory to spread even further within the diving community.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom