Saw this on Another Forum...Deep Deep Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adobo:
Hopefully things like eating and sleeping are not important.

What would prevent someone from sleeping in this type of suit?

Nomad:
What would prevent someone from sleeping in this type of suit?

Probably nothing. Especially after being up for 3 days. I guess I have my head stuck on the idea that on open circuit scuba, falling asleep is fatal. I guess that's why they bury themselves up to their necks... to keep from getting swept away by tides, currents and surge. Imagine waking up after a nice long slumber. "Where the heck am I?"

Adobo:
I wonder what they do with #2. Is there like a rear end relief zipper? I hate the idea of "dump" valve. The whole notion of the accompanying catheter is just downright scary.

You must be a young-un. Apparently you've never had to have a colonoscopy. Once you're cleaned out, there's no more need. After all, you're not eating while down there.

fd

SeanQ:
Interesting read. I can't imagine spending $1 million in training for a soldier only to have them lay on the sea floor and wait for passing submarines. The ocean is a bit big to be patrolled by a mere 12 soldiers.

Wouldn't the effort of breathing something many hundreds of times denser than air be exhausting after a prolonged period of time?

Hell, the Army's spent way more than 1 million training me, and what I have done for them? Nothing but show up each day they expect me there. So far they've wasted that money on me. But I've still got another 8 years before retiring.

fd

fire_diver:
You must be a young-un. Apparently you've never had to have a colonoscopy. Once you're cleaned out, there's no more need. After all, you're not eating while down there.

fd

Well, I was thinking along the lines of a high colonic. But then I realized that there is enough quackery in this thread to go around.

I was told that the Navy was, and still is experimenting with the liqiud oxygen...but the few divers they tested it on either died or will live with pneumonia for the rest of their lives because not all the liquid could be removed from the lungs during 'draining'.

Meng_Tze:
Here are some hints.......

Why do seals have to dig in? Submarines have no windows and guess what... if robots can be detected by their sonar image.... so will the pump and the heater......any moving part and any electrical part has a signature, including small pumps and heaters.

contradicting pieces here. And beside, c'mos, with the sonar nets around the world it is practically impossible to slip through, even as an ordinary diver, let alone a submarine......

But okay I'll play along. What does the neighbour Doctor say? No deco? So basically O2 with a non-absorbed dilutent.... whonder what that comes from dilithium crystals?

Meng old friend,

This is very real. I've met one of these divers too. They dig in to cover their heat generating equipment in a way that a submarines and robots have trouble with (robots have too much going on to hide with some earth but not this suit). This completely changes their sonic profile or signature.

As for the deco, you know that the more O2 in your nitrox the less nitrogen (the real recompression risk). Since this is nitro free, not a concern during deco. And you say to yourself, "Self, even with no nitro at that depth surely there is enough O2 in the blood to cause a deco problem." The response to that is, don't forget the O2 isn't gaseous and never compressed in the first place.

Did you fellas know that the rat scene in the movie Abyss was real? That rat drowned in the oxy solution that James Cameron had purchased. Also, the rat lived but un-drowning it was apparently a slightly "less cool" scene and cut from the flick. :)

As for the sonar nets, yes, but visuals are better and sonar can't lay a mine on a deeply docked sub.

JB

RockPile:
Meng old friend,

This is very real. I've met one of these divers too. They dig in to cover their heat generating equipment in a way that a submarines and robots have trouble with (robots have too much going on to hide with some earth but not this suit). This completely changes their sonic profile or signature.

As for the deco, you know that the more O2 in your nitrox the less nitrogen (the real recompression risk). Since this is nitro free, not a concern during deco. And you say to yourself, "Self, even with no nitro at that depth surely there is enough O2 in the blood to cause a deco problem." The response to that is, don't forget the O2 isn't gaseous and never compressed in the first place.

Did you fellas know that the rat scene in the movie Abyss was real? That rat drowned in the oxy solution that James Cameron had purchased. Also, the rat lived but un-drowning it was apparently a slightly "less cool" scene and cut from the flick. :)

As for the sonar nets, yes, but visuals are better and sonar can't lay a mine on a deeply docked sub.

JB

Hmm.. must be top secret.

Wikipedia:
...If the technique could be perfected, it would be extremely useful for submarine escape and undersea oxygen support facilities, and for underwater work, as portrayed in the 1989 science-fiction film The Abyss.

Unfortunately, there are problems with execution of the idea. All uses of liquid breathing for diving must involve total liquid ventilation. Any bubbles in the system at all would need to be maintained by the kinds of high partial gas pressures that it is the whole point of the system to avoid. Bubbles would lead to bends. Total liquid ventilation, however, has difficulty moving enough fluid to carry away CO2, because no matter how great the total pressure is, the amount of partial CO2 gas pressure available to disolve CO2 into the breathing liquid can never be much more than the pressure of 40 mm of mercury (Torr) at which CO2 exists in the blood. At these pressures, most fluorocarbon liquids require about 70 mL/kg minute-venilation volumes of liquid (about 5 L/min for a 70 kg adult) to remove enough CO2 for normal resting metabolism. This is a great deal of fluid to move when it represents dense liquid (about 1.8 times the density of water), and even moderate work which doubles CO2 production, would double this figure. It seems unlikely that a person would move 10 liters/min of fluorocarbon liquid without assistance from a mechanical ventilator, so "free breathing" of liquids by working human aquanauts as seen in the film The Abyss, will probably be a long time coming.

Yes the rat scene inthe movie was real. The rat in question was one of a group that was used during the animal testing process. This theoretical science is not new. in fact it was proposed and tested on small animal in the sixties. In the first few years of the experiment, every rat died of lung damage shortly after being drainned.

In the last few years (yes they've been experimenting with this stuff for over 40 years), they have managed to keep the rats alive, but human testing (dont know about the military they tend to do t'hings their own way, and in their own time) has not been undertaken as there is permanent damage done to the alvola, and broncheal tubes.

The public word, from the authors of the studies, is that, at this time, liquid breathing technology is potentially viable, but the after effects of prolonged, and repetitive exposre are fatal. (even in the rats....too many time down = death)

There has been some interesting work done using the medical applications of this technology, but it is still considered a risk treatment, and is not commonly used.

By the way for those who bought into the line from the movie (we all breathe liquid for nine months) that's another hollywood fantasy. Unborn children get their air supply from the umbillicp cord. The heart of the unborn cjhild has a valve that allows oxegenated blood to bassically by pass the lungs as they lungs are not functional. Just do a search on PFO and diving and you'll see where the nonclosing of that little valuve has been atributed to some cases of DCI.

All of this can be found with a simple evening surf of the web. It's not new, but it mae fr a good evening's read on a cold winter night a few months ago.

Adobo:
Hmm.. must be top secret.

Without betraying my thoughts on Wiki-anyone-submit-anything-they-conjure-up, I'll just say that if I can't convince you, I'll live. Mainly because I know it's very hard to believe. I actually don't blame you a bit.

JB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom