Saw this on Another Forum...Deep Deep Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After reading all the posts in this thread, I'm wondering if the Moon landing really happened in '69. lol. I think that any thing the human mind can imagine, some one will try to make it a reality. Possible........yes. Probable.........eventually. Practical.........doubt it.

First, you'd have to decend very slowly so that you burn off enough O2 to be sure that you are above the MOD (and eventually end up with a seriously hypoxic mix which you'd have to replenish on the way up).

Second, the CO2 has to go somewhere. It's more narcotic than N2 so I'm guessing those "2 missing divers" were in Margaritaville.

As far as the pneumonia problem, it looks like the Liquivent has a high enough vapor pressure that it slowly evaporates at body temperature at 1 ATA.

The webpage says its only been tried on 300 patients and has "demonstrated a 28-day mortality rate of 6%." I'm sure the patients were in bad shape to start with, but I don't see the navy risking their million dollar weapons of mass destruction on this technology any time soon.

I actually fell for a tall tale told by an ex-SEAL in TAMU-Corpus Christ's Biology department several years ago. In rapt attention, a gaggle of wide-eyed students listened as this guy described the Navy's secret "dolphin assassins". Some of you have heard this story, the one about the dolphins carrying the nosecones equipped with a contact-activated .45 caliber bullet?

Yeah, this hardcore ex-Navy dude, beer in hand, regales us with intimate operating parameters of power-head equipped killer dolphins. Part of his argument allowing him to tell "civvies" about it, I recall, was that the project had been cancelled. He'd also drunk a LOT of beer.

I believed that story for like eight years. What a ripoff!:D

I've had even more farfetched "true stories" told to me by an ex-UDT guy. I haven't ever tried to verify those... I'd prefer to at least believe in the possibility that they were true, they're that outrageous. :wink:

archman:
I actually fell for a tall tale told by an ex-SEAL in TAMU-Corpus Christ's Biology department several years ago. In rapt attention, a gaggle of wide-eyed students listened as this guy described the Navy's secret "dolphin assassins". Some of you have heard this story, the one about the dolphins carrying the nosecones equipped with a contact-activated .45 caliber bullet?

Yeah, this hardcore ex-Navy dude, beer in hand, regales us with intimate operating parameters of power-head equipped killer dolphins. Part of his argument allowing him to tell "civvies" about it, I recall, was that the project had been cancelled. He'd also drunk a LOT of beer.

I've had even more farfetched "true stories" told to me by an ex-UDT guy. I haven't ever tried to verify those... I'd prefer to at least believe in the possibility that they were true, they're that outrageous. :wink:

Well, that story isn't entirely a tall tale, like breathing freakin' liquid, hah.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s797943.htm

archman:

If you are interested...here's the Navy's official site dealing with critters...:D

http://www.spawar.navy.mil/sandiego/technology/mammals/

MK_6_1.jpg

Image titled, "Mark 6 Dolphin marking a Diver"

And just what do you think "marking" means?

Some of the best info about "killer dolphins" has actually come from ScubaBoard.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=125766

I'm under the firm belief that people who routinely work with restricted information are required to take special classes... on disseminating plausible misinformation.:wink:

Didn't read the whole thread.. But a couple of "issues" come to mind rather quickly..

1. We need an air space to see (our mask) if the suit was completely flooded, the diver could not see. If there were an air space, would need to be equalized to be maintained especially to such depths.

2. If you are buried up to your neck, how do you dig yourself out? Would need to be buried up to your arm pits, not neck.. If you are horizontal, the depth you are buried would not be enough (speculation) to quiet the pumps / motors.

countryboy:
1. We need an air space to see (our mask) if the suit was completely flooded, the diver could not see. If there were an air space, would need to be equalized to be maintained especially to such depths.
This one's actually a simple fix. Contact lenses shaped to compensate for underwater viewing. Think seal eyes, backwards.:wink:

2. If you are buried up to your neck, how do you dig yourself out? Would need to be buried up to your arm pits, not neck.. If you are horizontal, the depth you are buried would not be enough (speculation) to quiet the pumps / motors.
Personally knowing just how fine and gummy deep-sea sediments are, my major concern would be for that junk getting into my gear and fouling it up. I've stuck my arm into boxcores sampled anywhere from 300-3500 meters, and that frozen mud just ain't natural!

Back
Top Bottom