Saw something new today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpbishop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was cruising the south wall at La Jolla Shores this evening, 55 ft deep, when I was buzzed by a cormorant . It just seemed to be cruising too, though it's cruising speed was at least double mine. I didn't know they went that deep.

And whats up with the Sea Hare orgys down there? Saw several groups of 5 - 8 Sea Hares, all piled on top of each other.

My husband just tells me that he's seen them at 90-100'. It came by and started digging in the sand.

I've seen cormorants at the shores dive down and swim over to check us out at 80ft, then start digging in the sand.. Pretty cool for a "duck".. lol..
The sea hares mating rings can have dozens of them, ah... entertwined in passion... For some reason they seem to be more amorous this year though.. :eyebrow:

They actually where mating?? Right out in the open?? That's just wrong. Somebody tell them to rent a room.

It didn't seem to be a particularly strenuous activity; of course, I don't know how strenuous I would be, doing it below the thermocline. :eyebrow:

Wikipedia says some cormorants go as deep as 45 meters. You learn something new every day.

Cormorants are known to dive to depths of 160 ft (about 49 m). I was at 65 ft when one zoomed right up my chest to surface above me. I watched it at the surface (yep, vertical vis was > 65 ft in the dive park) and when it started diving back down, I filmed it descending and then searching for munchables on the bottom for about 75 sec.

For those who don't know about these birds, read my columns (and see the pictures) #017 and #223.

Were these black or California sea hares? Both form mating orgies of up to a dozen or more and go at it for days. See my columns #052 for the California species and #152 for the black sea hare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom