Saturday after Thanksgiving (11/27) BHB Turkey Fry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks to be shaping up into a great event again this year!

It's pot luck, and that means we get to try some of those secret recipes everyone breaks out once or twice a year.​

Common items that we never have too much of:
Sodas
Water
other drinks (friut juice, coffee, etc.)
Oil for the fryer (it is way too expensive for a single person to supply all the oil)
cups
ice
coolers
Hamburgers
Hotdogs
Charcoal (There are grills at this shindig)
buns
condiments (not that everyone uses them, but we should be safe)

NOTE: As always, you will probably want to bring a chair for each person in your group

Attendees:
CoolTech - 1 Turkey and with KBeck
KBeck - Lost, misplaced and stolen items needed
NetDoc?
jimw and S.O. - watching the list
Scuba_Jenny and H.C. -
BigdogDown - waiting to told by Jenny what to bring
DMDavid + three - DM Treats (pineapple, oranges, apples and caramel)
DennisS - Stuffing
Reef-Haven - Rice Krispy Bars
D2Diver - 1 Turkey
Splitlip - Fresh cranberry relish and barley pops
Walter and TeenietinyNancy - Turkey fryer and some oil
jet126 - fresh veggie platter, secret homemade dill dip & a case of bottled water

18 attendees in the first day of posting aint too shabby. We'll pickup more as we get closer to the date.

If you want to bring a turkey, I can certainly bring something other than a turkey... It's just the first thing I always list when I start the thread.

Important to remember when purchasing a
turkey that is going to be fried

Guidelines for turkeys to be fried... (VERY IMPORTANT)

1. DO NOT BUY BUTTERBALL turkeys... they are injected with alot of water... not good for frying. Buy cheap "young" turkeys. It's ok... they fry the best. Generic birds can be purchased for 79 cents/lb at the local grocery. Those ALDI birds are OK... just try to buy the bigger ones.

2. 13-15lb size is best. This weight is the size that will max out the fryer's capacity... therefore most "bang" for the buck (and cooking time).

3. The birds must be thouroughly defrosted... no exceptions. Please make sure the giblits are removed and the cavern is completely thawed. This is the number 1 reason for splatter, burns, and fires.

4. Anyone else that wants to donate oil (or to the oil fund) (Cottenseed only), please pipe up. BassPro has 3gal jugs on sale for about $20. Each fryer uses 3-4 gallons.

5. The oil will preheat for almost an hour to reach the right temp. The birds cook 3.5 min/lb. 15 lb bird cooks in about 55 minutes. Please make sure the birds arrive in time to cook properly.

I will bring a fresh veggie platter with my secret homemade dill dip
Joanie

Cool.

Just remember what happened to Col. Sanders in '72 when they found what was in his 11 secret herbs and spices. :D

If you bring oil, get refined cottonseed oil. Refined cottonseed oil has a smoke point about 425° F while crude cottonseed oil's smoke point is only 310° F, greatly increasing the risk of fire.

IMG_0946.JPG

Yummy!

Last edited:
Cottonseed oil is pretty difficult to find, but Canola oil also works quite well. Read the warning to make sure there are no traces of peanut (or other nuts) oil. Some folks do have nut allergies.

Count me in!! I joined the Megadive over Halloween and am ready for MORE!!! Great to meet new folks to dive with.

Just for info.....am I understanding correctly that there is only the one dive that day? How about other cool places to dive in the area if I arrived a day early or stayed an additional day? I'm coming from the Ocala area, so it is quite a trip for one day with only one dive. I'll come anyway :D ....... just trying to optimize the trip. :wink:

Another question from a newbie......never been in saltwater.....about 6 extra pounds of weight seem right or should I bring more?

Thanks!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom