SAS Sub-Aquatic system ! have questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baba

New
Reaction score
Roatan, Isla de la Bahia,HondurasMontreal,Canada
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi , my name is Serge from Montreal and i am new on the scubaboard. I have just inherited from my uncle a conplete SAS/sub aquatic system SubX regulator. complete first stage with swivel,second stage and octo and pressuge gauge, all in almost mint condition!
We hooked it up to a bottle and all seemed to function properly :)
So i would like to know if this was good equipment back in the day? any information would be greatly appreciated. But most importantly can it be serviced? could i dive with it one day?

Cheers

Serge

i have included a few pictures, i have many more to view if someone is interested. PICT2383.jpgPICT2388.jpgPICT2404.jpgPICT2412.jpg

SAS were not really up to the same performance and quality as their contemporary Scubapro and US Divers competitors (especially the SAS 2nd stage).

It's not the make of equipment I'd recommend for a novice to do their own rebuild as there are no easily available rebuild kits....bits and pieces could probably be sourced or home made but not a whole parts kit......you won't find a dive shop that'll touch it.
Your pics show an immaculate example of a not very common reg.....here is where it will have some value, nothing huge but enough to cover about half the cost of a full Conshelf set off eBay.

I did a quick search online and found little. It seems two members of the board may be able to help you: Couv and Regulator BJ. If they don't chime in you could send them a private message. In old threads, Couv said he worked in a shop that sold SAS systems while Regulator BJ posted a second stage schematic.

Couv says: It's a good regulator. Balanced piston first stage with common o-ring sizes, classic downstream dual adjustment unbalanced second stage. One issue with the first stage (only reported to me, I did not experience it) stainless steel body could become very hard to open at service time. If you can get it serviced without spending a fortune-dive it.

Links to other threads you might enjoy:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/exposure-suits/184897-whatever-happened-sub-aquatic-systems.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/423005-z-90-diving-systems.html

@ AMS....how about posting links next time? I could have gone to bed early. :)

If anyone has suggestions on who the OP might contact to get his kit serviced, please help him out.

Thank you all for the informations, since i am on Roatan and at this point in time not sure if anyone can service it, i will keep it for display.

Cheers !

ps, i might consider selling it if the price is right? Would help me acquire a new regulator( my first :) )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom