Sartek Valve and Pony Bracket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wondering what you guys are using for Pony Brackets and if you guys have tried/using the Sartek RSV-1 Valve for switching between pony and tank while not removing the AGA?

A couple of our teams are in love with them and Im wondering if its more of a midwest thing or across the country...

Mike

I did a lot of research and settled on the Quick Draw Bracket. It is a very strong well made bracket which holds the pony securely. It allows for easy removal of pony and makes it very easy to change the main tank. Scubatoys sold me with the SB discount for just over $90.00.

As for the manifold options there are a few. The biggest issue with the Sartek is that it mounts on the regulator which makes an already bulk regulator even more bulky. Kirby Morgan makes one that mounts on the waist belt of a harness or BC. Oxycheq also has one that mounts on the waist. I am currently evaluating a mainfold option for our dive team. They all seem to be well constructed but like I said the biggest drawback for the Sartek is how it mounts.

Good luck with your search hope this help.

Mark D.

I did a lot of research and settled on the Quick Draw Bracket. It is a very strong well made bracket which holds the pony securely. It allows for easy removal of pony and makes it very easy to change the main tank. Scubatoys sold me with the SB discount for just over $90.00.

As for the manifold options there are a few. The biggest issue with the Sartek is that it mounts on the regulator which makes an already bulk regulator even more bulky. Kirby Morgan makes one that mounts on the waist belt of a harness or BC. Oxycheq also has one that mounts on the waist. I am currently evaluating a mainfold option for our dive team. They all seem to be well constructed but like I said the biggest drawback for the Sartek is how it mounts.

Good luck with your search hope this help.

Mark D.

Thanks for the Input Mark....Actually Sartek makes a harness that doesnt mount to the mask, it mounts to......anywhere :D, you can mount to tank, body, on harness, etc...

Well then thank you for the information back. The two teams I have talked to about the Sartek both had mask mounted, agreed that it did make the mask more cumbersome and either did not know or did not mention the other option. That is great information.

Mark D.

We use it. If you add a swivel the block doesn't affect head mobility at all. I wouldn't call it cumbersome.

It is VERY easy to activate. It was designed for a panicking diver to be able to initiate as they usually go towards the mask/reg. Another bonus is when it is switched everyone can see it when the diver is on the surface (perhaps below if there is enough vis). Most harness blocks may be very subtle to note whether they've been switched or not

Pony mounts. Tiger gear. Totally bomb proof but they are pricey

Mark - What do you mean by manifold?

Pony mounts. Tiger gear. Totally bomb proof but they are pricey

Mark - What do you mean by manifold?

Thanks for the info Bridge....We sell the guys the Tigers too, your right the are expensive, but an excellent bracket....Just didnt want to sound like a sales pitch versus an info thread

I was thinking for safety too, that the AGA mount would be better due to always being able to reach it....Figure this, your going to use it basically as you said in a panick or last ditch effort....could be entanglement etc. most of the time, you always can reach your mask or reg, easy to deply, what about if it was waste mounted, could you reach as easy? If you have multiple bottles and are switching hoses, would that be easy to reach and manuever your hand, or a simple and known working location at the mask....just did some visual scenarios in my head:wink:

we use the quick draw bracket and will be getting kirby morgan blocks.

I have heard of trouble occuring with the Sartek as it is made from delrin which can be scored by sand, etc. and cause leaks. I have no first hand experience with the Sartek and am only repeating what some Sartek users have told me. I use the Kirby Morgan and have no problems with it. Made of solid brass, it is bulletproof.

I have used both the Kirby Morgan Block and the RSV 1. The Kirby is reliable, but in terms of how we mount them (Clipped to a BC ring across our chest) we have a lot of excess clutter that seems to find every tree stump and snag. The Block connects to the primary and secondary tank (quick disconnect for donating the pony), includes the Drysuit inflator hose and the line to the FFM (EXO 26 or AGA).

Switching to a secondary tank is simple with the kirby, a good 8 full turns or so (alternate source starts to flow at 4 turns). With community team gear, I always check the kirby morgan position pre dive.

I prefer the Sartek block since it is simple to operate, and the hoses are not in my chest on the bottom. Pull the cotter pin and move the cyliner ram and you are switched. No one has accidentally switched that I am aware of with teams in my area. I am trying to get my hands on an extra RSV 1 from a team now. One of the local teams has been using them for a few years, trouble free.

I also like how easy it is to find the RSV 1 compared to the Kirby. Although clipped, there is some fuddling around to find it and get the knob. Timewise, my experiance is the RSV 1 is much faster for switching.

We use the Lifeguard Systems velcro harnesses for 19's and 30's. One dislike with them, unless you have dual bands on the BC, the velcro ring doesn't stay on 80's and the tank slides and knocks around. We pratice that the diver needing assistance undoes the velcro on the pony harness and takes the tank while the standby diver disconnects from the block and takes the pony reg off his necklace. I definately like the tiger idea that Bridge has recommended before... much easier. In the meantime, we live with what we have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom