Bonaire / Solo / Pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NW Dive Dawg

SDI / TDS Solo Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
So my wife and I are headed back to Bonaire for two weeks in April.... This will be our 12th trip to Bon so we have most things already dialed in. This trip will be a bit different in that we've gotten older and so my wife won't be doing as many dives as I plan to. With that being the case, on this trip I'm planning to bring my 13cf Pony since I will inevitably be doing some solo diving.....

We'll be staying in a villa up in the Sabadeco area and in the past we've always used Buddy's for our shore diving tank / Nitrox package..... We usually drive to Buddy's every morning for their breakfast anyway and so we do our daily tank swaps at that time......... but we're also open to other suggestions.

I've never traveled with a Pony before but seems pretty straight forward to just pack it empty and valve off. Couple of questions....

1) Assuming that I'll be packing the Pony in my checked bag, do I need to declare anything at check-in or just pack it with the valve obviously removed? (maybe some tape to prevent any contamination).

2) Any issues getting it filled in Bon........assuming that it has a current hydro and vip?

3) Is there anywhere on Bon that rents Pony's? PS.... I'd actually rather have my 19 but the 13 is easier to pack)

4) Anything else I need to be thinking about as a first time Pony traveler?

Thanks in advance!!!

I have taken a pony bottle to Bonaire many many times without issue. I’ve never declared the tank. I typically bungee a clear plastic freezer bag over the top. I learned the hard way to never use a plastic plug. Unfortunately it was after TSA in Atlanta confiscated my cylinder on a return flight home. You my find renting a pony in Bonaire to be cost prohibitive. Whipping (filling) the bottle yourself is quick and easy if you’re familiar with the procedure. Hope this helps.

1. No need to declare. I remove valve, put plastic bread bag over my 19 cu and secure with 2 rubber bands. I put the tank close to the zipper of the bag so TSA can get at it easily and not mess up my bag.

2. Depends on whether you have a solo cert or are following don't ask don't tell policy. No problem for me with solo cert.

3. I bring my own.

4. Have fun.

Same. Have brought a six many times including this June. I put my valve in a zip lock and nothing covering the tank. Check with the dive shop to make sure they will fill it. No problem at capt dons but had to do some convincing at a dive shop on CUR who for the first time said their policy is not to fill any tanks but their own. They had filled it in the past and eventually agreed to.

1668810505197.png
Take one tank strap, two bolt snaps, and cord.
Rig AL63 and sling. 🔩

Al 63 my primary go to.

Valve off in a freezer bag (they're heavier duty than a sandwich bag)
Blue painters tape on the top of the tank to keep crud out.
Bring an extra tank o-ring just in case.
Bring a trans-fill whip just in case they won't fill an "empty" tank

No need to declare anything

Valve off in a freezer bag (they're heavier duty than a sandwich bag)
Blue painters tape on the top of the tank to keep crud out.
Bring an extra tank o-ring just in case.
Bring a trans-fill whip just in case they won't fill an "empty" tank

No need to declare anything
Thanks Brother... I'm not familiar with a "trans-fill whip" Any reference or advice would be great...

Here you go. Be sure to thank @Couv

Thanks Brother... I'm not familiar with a "trans-fill whip" Any reference or advice would be great...
2 yoke or dine style connections, 1 with a relief valve to bleed off pressure in the hose for after filling, sometimes a pressure gauge to tell you what the hose/recipient tank are pressurized to. I use mine to top off the pony since it is out of VIP and I don't feel like paying for one on it until i travel. When it gets down to 2500 I use a full HP 100 or 119 and ease the pressure up until I think it's good and then check with a separate gauge I have. When traveling I use it to put about 500 psi from a donor tank if the shop won't fill it from empty. I remove and replace the valve myself to prevent any premise of them doing an undesired VIP for me.

Attachments

• 20221118_164040.jpg
    20221118_164040.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 86

Back
Top Bottom