Sarangani Shark Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greatwolf, those fisherman know how to fish in a proper and sustainable manner. They just do not want to do it. Maybe karma will kick in again. A couple of years ago we had a problem with some blast fishermen down here blasting on a nice reef we go to. A few of us divers complained to the fisheries people and brought in 3 IEDs. They said they could not do too much because the blast fishermen were bad guys with lots of guns. Well after a few months karma kicked in. We heard that the leader of the blast fishermen and a couple of his boys blew them selves up while blast fishing. Nice! Maybe something will happen to the dolphin/shark killers. And maybe a power plant employee or two just for laughs.

Hearing about those Bumpheads in the market, that's almost worst than the sharks, I can't imagine the Bumpheads are any good eating?

greatwolf, those fisherman know how to fish in a proper and sustainable manner. They just do not want to do it. Maybe karma will kick in again. A couple of years ago we had a problem with some blast fishermen down here blasting on a nice reef we go to. A few of us divers complained to the fisheries people and brought in 3 IEDs. They said they could not do too much because the blast fishermen were bad guys with lots of guns. Well after a few months karma kicked in. We heard that the leader of the blast fishermen and a couple of his boys blew them selves up while blast fishing. Nice! Maybe something will happen to the dolphin/shark killers. And maybe a power plant employee or two just for laughs.

As much as I don't like to think that it's too late for these fishermen, I believe there's a better chance for the sharks if we educate the fishermen's children. Children are impressionable, don't you agree?

Last edited:
Chip, still wondering if the coal fired power plant was discussed when you were at South Point

While we're waiting for Chip (it's still the weekend here in Canada :wink:), can you provide an email address for contacting the provincial government of Sarangani as mentioned in your post above? Thx.

Hi chip, we wanted divers to know that some jerk offs down here go out catch and kill dolphins and use them for bait to catch sharks. They are from Tinoto, Maasim, Sarangani province. If any divers agree that this is wrong, then I suggest the email the Provincal Government of Sarangani. If they get enough bad feedback, then they may put a stop to this practice.

May I also suggest sending the pictures, a description of the practice, and the Sarangani government address to the diversions yahoo group. They will also take an interest to it. But I checked google and couldn't find any address of the Sarangani Government. edit: beaten by Anna. :)

As for the coal fired power plant proposed for Sarangani, The Governors family is the owners of the corporation that wants to build it. That seems so nice.

If you think that the power plant will push through, then the next best thing is to join the consultation group to monitor the environment. Then it would be good to see what is done elsewhere in the Philippines - Batangas, 100 islands, Subic, and Isabela are the first to come to mind. Good luck, fight the good fight.

I heard you were just down at South Point. Was there any discussion about the coal fired power plant while you were there?
yep, went down last month and found out that I had more ties to Gen San than orginally thought. Beautiful place and I'll definitely be going again in the future. I did converse with many people on the subject and overall I found it a mixed bag of those for and those against.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud here, but what is the Sarangani provincial government going to do about it if they don't have the funds to have fisheries officers (or coast guard, or whatever) to enforce their decision on stoping this practice?:confused: It's going to keep on going... No one will be there to stop it.
I think education, that will eventually change local mentalities, will help put pressure on these groups to stop doing it as they are! Peer pressure (in this case local community pressure) in my oppinion is the greatest force that can be usefull here!

At least that's what I think, with my limited knowledge of how it works in that area of the world...:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom