Sarangani Shark Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
These photos were taking last week on our way out to Tinoto Point for a couple of dives with me mates, my sources tell me these sharks are caught by long lining, between PI and Indo. It's also alleged that dolphins are used as bait. Look closely you can see where the fin has been removed!

Attachments

• shark3.jpg
    shark3.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 178
  • shark1.jpg
    shark1.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 231
  • shark6.jpg
    shark6.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 139
looks like the heads were taken off (along with the fins). Any idea what type of sharks those were?

Sad... :(

i would hazard to guess that these guys dont know any better. they dont know its wrong and am not sure there is already a law against fishing for sharks.

I will have to ask John Heitz about what kind of sharks he thought they were, I also believe he said that it is actually legal what they did!!! It looked like a rather poor village where it occurred and I don't think the locals really know (or don't care) about the long term implications of matters like this.

As much as I don't like sharks being slaughtered, you still have to consider, do these people actually have a choice?

Unless we could offer a better alternative to these fishermen, this isn't going to stop in the near future.

they also got a couple threshers a few months back. As far as i know there is no law against it. And what are they supposed to do once they fight the fish for 30 minutes and get a dead shark on board? Throw it away?
I hated the site as well but just looking at all sides.
Posted via Mobile Device

they also got a couple threshers a few months back. As far as i know there is no law against it. And what are they supposed to do once they fight the fish for 30 minutes and get a dead shark on board? Throw it away?
I hated the site as well but just looking at all sides.
Posted via Mobile Device

i guess you're the only one in the area who knows all sides paul. sad but these people do need to sustain their families. unless the local government provides alternative programs i'd have to agree with marvin...this won't end anytime soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom