Sarangani Shark Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

badaboombadabing!

chip104, no need for us to go on a trip sponsered and paid by the coal fired power plant gang. They want to show a nice clean burning coal fired power plant in Thailand. No need for that BS. They like to tell everyone that it does not produce smoke, so that mske it "clean coal" HA HA HA! As I explain to people most cars that are in good running condition do not produce smoke either. So does that make the emissions clean and safe? To find out how "safe" that is try running your car in a closed area. You will be dead in 30 minutes from the emissions.
I disagree, I think it is important to get informed on the technology, take notes about the showcased area (demographics, environment, local economy - gotten better or worse?, locals POV, the sociology methods used to build the plant), then research the topics and even post about it here so people who have access to information can help you.

After that, you can begin a highly educated campaign that can point out the specific faults to a T and it would do wonders to help your cause.

Just some food for thought.

chip104, As for your post please reread my post about alternatives and education. I do not know what else I need to explain. As far as the tuna industry under stress at this time, your are correct. However, may I explain a few facts. The form of fishing that good fishermen here use is handline method tarketing mature tuna. Check this and other forms of fishing on the Monteray Bay Aquarium web site. Seventy percent of the tuna caught in the Pacific ocean is caught by purse seine boats. Handline fishermen catch less than ten percent. The only way these guys can be more sustainable is to start bearding the tuna.

As for the Thailand free good time maybe get laid trip. We already know the technolegy. So no need for me to go and maybe have some coal fired power plant employee take a picture of me with a couple naked Thai girls sitting on my lap, in a moment of weakness.

When you have time surf the internet to see where the groupees went. Search the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate in Rayong Province. See the pros and cons of what "development" has done to the area. No matter what "modern and clean" technolegy they use, the Tinoto area should not become an industrial area. There is plenty of areas that are less critical to the environment, let them mess those places up more.

Again thanks for your interest.

I'd figured better to have a photo of two Thai girls on your lap, than one 8-year old boy.:rofl3::rofl3:
Sorry John, you set yourself up on that one, and this thread had so much purpose.

chip104, As for your post please reread my post about alternatives and education.
I do not know what else I need to explain. As far as the tuna industry under stress at this time, your are correct. However, may I explain a few facts. The form of fishing that good fishermen here use is handline method tarketing mature tuna. Check this and other forms of fishing on the Monteray Bay Aquarium web site. Seventy percent of the tuna caught in the Pacific ocean is caught by purse seine boats. Handline fishermen catch less than ten percent. The only way these guys can be more sustainable is to start bearding the tuna.

Just call me Chip. Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound like I was against handline fishing. Just to be clear, I do agree with you about it and targeting purse seine methods. The point I am making is these shark fishermen should be offered a variety of alternatives and sustainability programs. Correct me if I am wrong - The only alternative you have mentioned is handline fishing. The only education you have mentioned is teaching them about handline fishing. Since the purse seine fishery has a high impact on the Philippine industry (ie the whole pacific [-]might[/-] will eventually crash), it might be wise to diversify and teach these shark fishermen other things.

But just curious, what does the current education involve? Things such as running regular workshops in their barangays to promote and teach them how and why to handline fish as well as elementary and high school campaigns and projects to promote conservation? If so, that is terrific and let us know if there is a prize bursary we can donate to (I will remit $$$ for this). If not, something to think about.

As for the Thailand free good time maybe get laid trip. We already know the technology. So no need for me to go and maybe have some coal fired power plant employee take a picture of me with a couple naked Thai girls sitting on my lap, in a moment of weakness.

That’s fair – worried for your own safety, I can understand that. Have you gotten in contact with the local marine conservation groups at Map Ta Phut or asked the Thai government for demographic data of the area? Have you asked the conservation groups there for an addressed letter to the Sarangani Government Officials about the effect that the power plant there has had on their area (great to include pictures)? Have you contacted other PI locales that went through the same issues?

When you have time surf the internet to see where the groupees went. Search the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate in Rayong Province. See the pros and cons of what "development" has done to the area. No matter what "modern and clean" technolegy they use, the Tinoto area should not become an industrial area. There is plenty of areas that are less critical to the environment, let them mess those places up more.

First, curious as to what places did you have in mind and why? Second, what is “modern & clean”? What is the waste produced by the power plant? What are their protocols for waste disposal? What are the upper and lower environmental exposure limits of the emissions produced by the coal power plant? Is it above or below government standards? Are the government standards above or below the international standards? If the environmental exposure limits of the coal power plant are within the government standards, then your beef is with the government first and foremost.

You mentioned that the coal power plant output will be 900W, but of course it won’t be operating at max capacity. Have you spoken with the Medusa Mining Corp and what their operating needs are in order to expand? Have you spoken to interested green energy groups that may want to invest in the wind and wave power of Sarangani?

Again thanks for your interest.

Of course. Thanks for your viewpoint. But there is still a problem. No one here from your area has laid out clearly:
1. What issues are still outstanding and what still needs to be done,
2. Further and most important, a call to action plan to fellow divers on how we can help. Until a call to action is laid out, it is just all hot air for us. A good start would be names of people to contact along with a letter to send them or give us the name of a foundation that we can donate to teach more sustainable livelihoods (or start one).

I know I asked a lot of questions but everyone from that area seem passionate about the topic, and in the end you never know which “rich manila-based divers” may be reading this thread. :wink:

Hello greatwolf please wake up and smell the coffee. Local fishermen that go out and target tuna using handlines on both small and big boats, can make a good living. Nobody is coming down on legit fishermen. What we are trying to bring out to everyone is the targeting of sharks using long lines and using dolphins as bait. Never mind that they are also poaching in Indo waters. Come and visit us sometime. I can show you plenty of fishermen that feed their families, send their kids to school while fishing for tuna using handlines in a sustainable manner.

Thanks. I might just take you up on that offer. However, it still doesn't answer my question as to what is being done locally to educate these fishermen? I seriously doubt that they have the resources to visit SB to find out about our outrage over them catching sharks.

I really am curious as to what's being done locally.

Over the last several years most of the civic organisations have had education programs to help local fishing communities the same goes for lik Ntra Dame Schools and even the local government but unfortunatly all of these well meaning projects totally failed as the fishermen good not get the interest for education! The children mostly go to school but wuth education or not, the same as in many countries now, there simply are no jobs for the unskilled and even college graduates here might get a job in a mall on the check outs of Jollibee if they are lucky! Population is the problem, the poorer the person then usually the more children they have!
They have been promissed the world but have not recieved a thing and probably will not get anything in the future!
As for the people who kill dolphins in order to catch sharks, there are maybe just a couple of boats doing this so they are in a minority!
As a point of interest, John said that there were 13 big Bump Head parrot Fish for sale today, from Wamduanga! Sad!

Hi chip, we wanted divers to know that some jerk offs down here go out catch and kill dolphins and use them for bait to catch sharks. They are from Tinoto, Maasim, Sarangani province. If any divers agree that this is wrong, then I suggest the email the Provincal Government of Sarangani. If they get enough bad feedback, then they may put a stop to this practice.

As for the coal fired power plant proposed for Sarangani, The Governors family is the owners of the corporation that wants to build it. That seems so nice.

I heard you were just down at South Point. Was there any discussion about the coal fired power plant while you were there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom