Sarangani Shark Slaughter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not think that Chinese money in into this type of project yet but it could be later in the future! The Coal Plant People have just taken the DENR Bosses, Reporters and others to Thailand to view Coal Fired Power Stations there, this is a bit strange as the ECC has been approved so why should the DENR go on such a trip!
Me and JR DM were invited but declined the offer!

Isnt china going to be the source of coal? My understanding is that the local coal is too low grade to be of much use and they have to import coal from somewhere....

I would like to see a little more outrage gang on the use of dolphins for the shark bait.

Hi there jr. dm

how about starting a dolphin watching cruise on your boat? Maybe the locals will be outraged that the object of their cruise is targeted to be used as bait.... but then again, those fishermen will do just about anything to survive....

Hi there jr. dm

how about starting a dolphin watching cruise on your boat? Maybe the locals will be outraged that the object of their cruise is targeted to be used as bait.... but then again, those fishermen will do just about anything to survive....
Or maybe those fishermen can be hired as the local tour guides for these dolphin cruises (like in Donsol, Sogod Bay, Coron, Anilao, Verde Island...). They're better at finding them than anyone.

They'll do anything to survive, yet has anyone given them an alternative?

Or maybe those fishermen can be hired as the local tour guides for these dolphin cruises (like in Donsol, Sogod Bay, Coron, Anilao, Verde Island...). They're better at finding them than anyone.

They'll do anything to survive, yet has anyone given them an alternative?

This is what I don't get...all this outrage but I've yet to see someone give a decent proposal on offering alternatives to these fishermen, or at least educating them like they've done in other areas.

John can explain this better and I'm sure he will step in and do that. One thing is fishing, but the slaughter of the sharks seems to be a targeted species, in other words, just go out and fish, like everyone else does, but don't go out and target a species that is in decline especially if they are using Dolphins for bait. I agree people must eat and they must fish, but does that give them the right to kill any species using any method at any time with no limits?

Hello greatwolf please wake up and smell the coffee. Local fishermen that go out and target tuna using handlines on both small and big boats, can make a good living. Nobody is coming down on legit fishermen. What we are trying to bring out to everyone is the targeting of sharks using long lines and using dolphins as bait. Never mind that they are also poaching in Indo waters. Come and visit us sometime. I can show you plenty of fishermen that feed their families, send their kids to school while fishing for tuna using handlines in a sustainable manner.

Dr. Stan and chip104, you have to go pretty far offshore here to see dolphins and whales. Only once in a while do we see them close to shore. Also the poor things are so afraid of boats now that it is hard to get close to them. Also I am sure that the bad boys of the area would love to start a new industry of kidnaping ecotouists for ransom.

As for the alternatives, handline tuna fishing is what thousands of fishermen do here.

chip104, no need for us to go on a trip sponsered and paid by the coal fired power plant gang. They want to show a nice clean burning coal fired power plant in Thailand. No need for that BS. They like to tell everyone that it does not produce smoke, so that mske it "clean coal" HA HA HA! As I explain to people most cars that are in good running condition do not produce smoke either. So does that make the emissions clean and safe? To find out how "safe" that is try running your car in a closed area. You will be dead in 30 minutes from the emissions.

Dr. Stan and chip104, you have to go pretty far offshore here to see dolphins and whales. Only once in a while do we see them close to shore. Also the poor things are so afraid of boats now that it is hard to get close to them. Also I am sure that the bad boys of the area would love to start a new industry of kidnaping ecotouists for ransom.

As for the alternatives, handline tuna fishing is what thousands of fishermen do here.
Ok, so the alternative is still fishing. Got it. Still some chance for shark by-catch - it happens but fishermen don't let it go to waste. That's good. However, in general, isn't the world tuna industry not crashing at the moment? So wouldn't it be better to offer them something more than just moving from one form of fishing to another form of fishing? Tourism is the obvious one, so why not begin training these particular type of fisherman as boat guides? Or as a local, what other careers can they be trained on to leave that lifestyle for good?

How about greatwolf's inquiry of education? Has anyone started a campaign on why their form of fishing is not sustainable? To what extent has the LGU been informed about this and has there been a push to install local bylaws?

In the PPD there's no doubt we're saddened and upset. But we're past the point of expressing outrage. Instead of screaming "what do they think they are doing?!?!?" we're asking "why are they doing that in the first place?" I'm sure you know it's a complex issue and is better discussed in depth. No need for statements such as "wake up and smell the coffee", we really do want to be informed here.

If you want people to express just outrage, I also welcome you start a thread here: Marine Science and Physiology - ScubaBoard or a subforum in there. You will get lots of responses. I will even post my pictures there.

Back
Top Bottom