Santi: is it really worth the Money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The store we bought the suits also mentioned the boots being a weak point. Sooner or later they will leak. He also mentioned that if that happens he can put in some sort of layer which will fix the problem (forever) so I am not too concerned about that. Haven't experienced any problems so far.

I read those comments on Santi's Flexsole boots. Given that most of my drysuit diving is done on the rocky shore of a local lake, I went with the neoprene socks and rock boots option (similar to my DUI suit). It's a bit more of a pain with the extra component, but if the rock boot sole gets worn out, a replacement is much cheaper than replacing the suit boots. I like the design of the Santi rock boots a bit more than the DUI ones because the Santi's use velcro instead of laces which makes them much easier to put on and take off.

DRIS has an interesting flexible boot they apparently designed in-house that perhaps could be installed instead of Flexsoles.

DRIS has an interesting flexible boot they apparently designed in-house that perhaps could be installed instead of Flexsoles.

I wasn’t aware of that. I was just aware of the boot they designed that is fairly substantial looking. Think it has some relation to USIA.

This is the one I’m thinking of. Doesn’t look really flexible.

Ultimate Replacement Drysuit Boot

The E-Motion fabric doesn't hold up well and gets pinholes from what I've heard from friends who had one. I wouldn't get anything other than an E-Lite (and not the E-lite plus which has a mix of the 2 fabrics on it) if I ever got another Santi.

Just to make sure this is accurate, the E.Lite Plus does use the heavier and tougher E.Lite fabric in areas prone to wear, but it doesn't use the E.Motion fabric for the other parts of the suit. Specifically, the E.Motion fabric is only 235 g/m2...what you described (combo of E.Lite and E.Motion fabrics) is the E.Motion Plus which uses those two fabrics.

The E.Lite Plus uses a different and more durable "light" fabric paired with the heavier E.Lite fabric. According to the Santi website, the lighter fabric used by the E.Lite Plus is 365-425g/m2, and the E.Lite fabric is 515g/m2. While you can certainly tell the difference between the two on the suit, the E.Lite Plus feels extremely durable and shouldn't be prone to the potential pinhole leaks the E.Motion suit would have given how that fabric feels to the touch. :cheers:

I read those comments on Santi's Flexsole boots. Given that most of my drysuit diving is done on the rocky shore of a local lake, I went with the neoprene socks and rock boots option (similar to my DUI suit). It's a bit more of a pain with the extra component, but if the rock boot sole gets worn out, a replacement is much cheaper than replacing the suit boots. I like the design of the Santi rock boots a bit more than the DUI ones because the Santi's use velcro instead of laces which makes them much easier to put on and take off.

Agreed that in that case it is propably better to use more solid boots. Most dives I don't have to deal with rocky shores (grass and / or mud are more common where I live).

I wasn’t aware of that. I was just aware of the boot they designed that is fairly substantial looking. Think it has some relation to USIA.

This is the one I’m thinking of. Doesn’t look really flexible.

Ultimate Replacement Drysuit Boot

This is where you have the advantage. Maybe if you have a minute when you're over there, you could take a look at them? I have been under the impression they are more similar to flexible boots (e.g., Santi Flexsoles, DUI Turbosoles) than to rock boots. Sure, they would be sturdier than Flexsoles/Turbosoles, but that's the point--Flexsoles/Turbosoles have a reputation for wearing prematurely and leaking.

This is where you have the advantage. Maybe if you have a minute when you're over there, you could take a look at them? I have been under the impression they are more similar to flexible boots (e.g., Santi Flexsoles, DUI Turbosoles) than to rock boots. Sure, they would be sturdier than Flexsoles/Turbosoles, but that's the point--Flexsoles/Turbosoles have a reputation for wearing prematurely and leaking.

Next time I’m in the shop I’ll try to remember to ask to see them.

I've had two DUI suits - two TLS350s and a CLX450. I'd never but DUI again, utter junk.
I've also had an Ursuit BDS Kevlar which had to be replaced and then the replacement had to have a lot of work done. My most recent suit is a Santi E-Lite and is, by a long way, the best suit I've owned. So good that I have an E-Lite+ on order.

what ever suit you go with, make sure you have good customer service from the shop you buy it from. I have had DUI suits (CF200, FLX, and TLS350 (used)). I now have a Santi E.Lite+, it has gone back for new boots (to narrow and had to size up) and they fixed it under customer service.
A good suit will cost a little more than a lesser quality suit. There are tons of options out there. I am also hearing good things about the Otter Atlantic Trilam suits. Like most expensive items, everyone loves theirs .... the most.

Just to make sure this is accurate, the E.Lite Plus does use the heavier and tougher E.Lite fabric in areas prone to wear, but it doesn't use the E.Motion fabric for the other parts of the suit. Specifically, the E.Motion fabric is only 235 g/m2...what you described (combo of E.Lite and E.Motion fabrics) is the E.Motion Plus which uses those two fabrics.

The E.Lite Plus uses a different and more durable "light" fabric paired with the heavier E.Lite fabric. According to the Santi website, the lighter fabric used by the E.Lite Plus is 365-425g/m2, and the E.Lite fabric is 515g/m2. While you can certainly tell the difference between the two on the suit, the E.Lite Plus feels extremely durable and shouldn't be prone to the potential pinhole leaks the E.Motion suit would have given how that fabric feels to the touch. :cheers:

Thank you for clearing that up! I apologize for spreading bad info.

Regarding the boot discussion, most of the divers I know locally have the attached boots on whatever suit they have. My instructor strongly recommended attached boots because he feels rock boots are too limiting in ankle mobility and can affect your kicks. I'm not sure now how I feel about that now. But I definitely like the convenience of attached boots. I'd probably be that dummy who forgets their rock boots at home at least once. I do find it interesting that in other locations, rock boots and neo socks are the more popular choice.

My Seaskin suit has VERY robust attached boots. I don't like them, but my buddy loves them. They trap air and they do limit mobility. I bet they will never wear out, though. Now that I've used those, I almost would rather the softer boots that will eventually need to be replaced. I think when I do need new boots for the Santi, I'm going to go to my drysuit repair guy and try on some of the options, including neoprene socks, in person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom