Sandfly allergy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keralucu

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi docs et al....

Can anyone advise me of a suitable course of anti-histamines to be taken to combat a severe allergy to sandfly bites? What I mean is, something to be taken for a week or so before going to a sandfly-infested area that will aid in toning down the allergic reaction.

My mum is very allergic, one tiny bite can make the affected area quadruple in size and the ensuing weepy sores leave permanent marks. My sister and I would like our parents to spend Christmas with us and our diving friends at the beach (so they can see why we are so hooked!) - my dad really wants to go, but Mum is flat out refusing because of the sandflies. There must be some medical solution to this problem??

Thanks as always
:)

Hi Alison,

Yes, there are drug approachs to controlling this sort of reactivity, but they need to be carefuly weighed. You should consult with your physician as to the best way to manage the situation.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Guess you're right... *sigh*. I was hoping you'd be able to just recommend something as it will be too much bother for my ma to go for a consult with a doctor just for a visit to the beach!!! Anyway, will keep trying. :wink:

By the way, are you still on for April '02 in Thailand?

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom