Sand Tiger Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belmont can you cite a published reference that supports that statement? If no-one knows the shark is present, how do you know it is there 80% of the time?

I don't keep a list of everything I read but some of that was found after studying aerial photos and sonar data done over dive sites and beaches used by swimmers and surfers.

I don't keep a list of everything I read but some of that was found after studying aerial photos and sonar data done over dive sites and beaches used by swimmers and surfers.

Sounds reasonable. When I hear a statement like that about shark behavior I am always curious to know if it is anectodal or based on some sort of scientific study.

I do alot of diving with Grey Nurse Sharks here in Australia. They are a beautiful non aggressive shark and often called puppy dogs or Labradors of the sea over here. Unfortunately the GNS population was greatly reduced on the east coast of Australia during the 60's and 70's primary due to spear fishing. This has classed them as a critically endangered species here and they are highly protected.

Here are some of my shots of these beauitful animals:

3634244125_7788829703.jpg

3619334248_c0fababbbe.jpg

3624602166_46f3923a1f.jpg

3341420052_eaa5b05874.jpg

Took some nice video also from my Nikon D90:

20090307 292 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

20090307 288 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The video was taken with a Tokina 10-17mm lens @ 10mm which means they are alot closer than what they appear in the video ;-)

Regards Mark

Great shots Ken! I stumbled onto your post after this mornings email. We told you that there would be sharks on the second dive. I look forward to checking your other photography located on your website.

Great shots Ken! I stumbled onto your post after this mornings email. We told you that there would be sharks on the second dive. I look forward to checking your other photography located on your website.

Thanks Frank!! You guys were sure right about the sharks on the Spar. I really enjoyed meeting all of you on the Captain's Lady, it was a really great day for me.

Possibly because you knew equating sharks with puppy dogs was silly and I'd call you on it if I saw the statement.
Yes, I know how particularly nitpicky you are when people use metaphors not to your liking.:D

OK. Unprovoked attacks are incidents in which the shark initiates the interaction in its natural environment without human provocation.

But who do the researchers ask for their versions of the incidents? People or the sharks? People lie. I'd believe the sharks. :rofl3:

In Cocos, man, I was so tempted to touch a white tip. They were right next to me. I also saw a cute little baby about 12 inches long. I had a burning desire to take him home with me.

I do alot of diving with Grey Nurse Sharks here in Australia. They are a beautiful non aggressive shark and often called puppy dogs or Labradors of the sea over here.
Thank you for that!!

Unfortunately the GNS population was greatly reduced on the east coast of Australia during the 60's and 70's primary due to spear fishing. This has classed them as a critically endangered species here and they are highly protected.

Here are some of my shots of these beauitful animals:

3634244125_7788829703.jpg

3619334248_c0fababbbe.jpg

3624602166_46f3923a1f.jpg

3341420052_eaa5b05874.jpg

Took some nice video also from my Nikon D90:

20090307 292 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

20090307 288 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The video was taken with a Tokina 10-17mm lens @ 10mm which means they are alot closer than what they appear in the video ;-)

Regards Mark

OMG! Beautiful

Back
Top Bottom