Sand Tiger Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Grey Nurse Sharks here in Australia (aka sand tigers) are totally docile as well. you could probably pet them if you were lucky enough to get close. People get an unneccessary fear of them cause of those big teeth stickin out their mouths.

You mean those big long skinny teeth that stick out? The ones meant for catching fish?

I have yet to intentionally pet a shark, but I've definitely been brushed by these guys before.

In Australia you call them the Grey Nurse and I think they call them the Ragtooth off of Africa.

It is sad when you see pictures in the local fishing shacks with some guy, or gal, standing proudly over their sand tiger...the evil vicious sand tiger.

Any diver in salt water would be surprised to know that sharks are present in his environment more than 80% of the time without him knowing of their presence.

Belmont can you cite a published reference that supports that statement? If no-one knows the shark is present, how do you know it is there 80% of the time?

On the 18 Fathom Wreck, southeast of Wilmington:

IMG_2846_edited-2.jpg

Schooling sand tigers over the Dixie Arrow (off Cape Hatteras) last summer.

IMG_3128-1.jpg

Sharks don't attack divers in general, they mostly avoid them. Any diver in salt water would be surprised to know that sharks are present in his environment more than 80% of the time without him knowing of their presence.
Belmont can you cite a published reference that supports that statement? If no-one knows the shark is present, how do you know it is there 80% of the time?

I've heard this before, too. It seems to be borne out by spearfishing accounts I've heard (though it's all anecdotal evidence) where they've swum around all day not seeing any sharks...until they spear a fish. Then the shark(s) seem to appear out of nowhere.

They really are a great subject:

3738298255_5630464357_o.jpg

3738298279_e25dbe31f4_o.jpg

Lots of life on the wrecks:

3751117120_ca8ee59c63_o.jpg

I made no assumption. Just asking a question, which you still haven't answered.

All observation at depth is biased from the observer's frame of reference, nitrogen narcosis, and other factors.

I am free to point out that your observation that close passes were due to disinterest are highly subjective conclusions. I am also free to point out that larger sharks have known behaviors of making close passes or even bumping that are not due to "disinterest" and you could be misinterpreting those signals. Not that those signals meant true aggression either. "Its my wreck".

I can point out all of that without ever having stepped into NC waters or been on that same dive and reporting my own possibly flawed observations.

Think on that one for a while.

Back
Top Bottom