Sand Flies in Roatan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tips guys!

A real hot bath and Cortisone cream helped tremendously!

Keeping my hands off is as bad as poison ivy!!!!!!

On Utila and Belize, we haven't been to Roatan yet but are going in June, no one in my family of 7complained more than occasionally about the sand fly bites. I however, have a terrible reaction to them. I have decided I must be allergic to the bites. Deet helps but only minimally, not worth it. They find me no matter where I go and bite any skin that is exposed. I rarely see them or feel them biting. It is only after a while I find a terrible desire to scratch. I try to ignore it. Occassionally if I dont, it helps but most often, it is impossible not to scratch, then once I do, the misery starts. I lay awake for hours every night, rubbing, not scratching, and going absolutely insane.

This next trip, I am taking cactus juice to try and Listerine, which I believe saved my life on Tobacco Caye in Belize. I also plan to take Benydryl to see if it will help with my reaction. I hope it does.

My best key to survival is to stay anywhere there is a breeze. I think the small critters struggle to maneuver in the wind. I spend my topside time on any deck I can find over the water. There is almost always a nice breeze there, a comfy hammock or chair and sitting over the water is not a bad way to spend vacation.

Back
Top Bottom