Sand Flies in Roatan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I have been twice and stayed at Fantasy Island both times. We had no bites at all and took no precautions. I think we were spared for two reasons: 1) Fantasy Island sprays their property regularly and 2) we don't like to just hang out at the beach.

We also stay at FIBR and yes they spray daily........however if you go to the beach you will be bitten by "no see ums".....get a product called Cactus Juice-you can get it in the states and the gift shop at FIBR sells it(a little higher price) and I guarantee you it WORKS--NO BITES.

I'm not going to post an underwater image advertisement,
but here's something really ugly:
Picture_15.png

...the topic of this thread.

We're going in April - are they really that bad?!?

They are ALWAYS bad, unless it is a continuous rain. I've never had a problem though, I use Cactus Juice and take copious amounts of B-vitamin. Get two bottles, one for the room and one for your dive bag. Spray before walking on the sand or grass. Mosquitoes, on the other hand....

They bother some and not others, consider yourself lucky. It's the mosquitoes that get me the ONE teeny place I didn't apply DEET.

Anyone have any suggestions on post bite treatment??

I got chewed up pretty bad last week even with DEET :depressed::depressed::depressed:

Chuck

Chuck I feel your pain! Antihistamine is your best bet along Cortisone cream and maybe some alcohol? That and time! Good luck and don't scratch! :no:

Benadryl Lotion, Benadryl Pills (or the Wallmart equivalent of them)

The one good thing Cactus Juice makes is the "Soothing Gel". That works, unlike the supposed repellant product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom