San Salvador for new divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennfl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been reading very good reviews here about the diving in San Salvador. We are newly certified, with only 4 dives (not including our open water PADI cert dives). We aren't ready for extreme wall dives or dives that are too deep (more than 70-80 ft).

Would San Salvador be a place for us?

Thank you for your insights!

Absolutely! Go have a great time.

Most of the diving in San Salvador is not shallow, 40-60 ft, in my recollection. You always have the option, if you dive as buddies, to stay on the top of the reef or go as deep as you feel comfortable on the wall. My wife and I did our first post cert dives from the Club Med operation there. We were nervous, but simply told the DMs that we were novice buddy divers and would like to tag along with another group. They said that was fine and let us also refresh our skills in the pool the day before our first dives. We had a great time and went back again a few years later with 150+ dives under our belts. The diving is nice and the vis. was great both times for us. Not so many fish in total numbers but the variety seems to be normal. Look for hammerheads. On our last trip, we were about the only divers during the whole week who did not see one.:(

Thanks for the reply Imorin,
I have been emailing with Riding Rock Hotel and it seems that the only option with them is to do wall dives. She didn't mention what you said about staying at the top of the reef. Not sure if they cater to beginner divers or not.

I have been wondering about Club Med. How many divers go out on their dive boats? Do you have the option of hiring your own private DM?

When we were in Cozumel this past June we were taken to Santa Rosa wall on our second dive of the day. My boyfriend had an almost "panic" attack at 80' because of not being able to see the bottom. We weren't prepared for a wall at that point (still aren't). And it really scared him because it caught him off guard. Luckily, our DM was right there and helped him to calm down and we finished the dive on top, I guess. On a sandy bottom at around 70'.

Just leary of them until we get more experience.

Thanks for your insights.

San Salvador has a reef offshore that has its top at 40-60 ft. The anchor spots are land-ward of the reef, generally over sand patches or channels, depending on how close to the wall the anchorage is. The reef varies from place to place in terms of slope to the wall drop off. Some places there are channels cut through the coral and you swim through coming out oceanside really in the deep blue. You cannot see the bottom (nor do you want to; it's several thousand feet down). It is a bit disconcerting the first time or two. However, you don't have to do the dive that way. You can swim either along the shore-ward side of the reef (also looking into the sand patches for critters) or along the top of the reef where it is most shallow. Nearly all the pre-dive instructions will take the form of, "Locate the reef, swim to the wall, then along the wall, either right or left depending on current. Return by reversing the dive." You can drift down the wall until it is vertical, if you wish. Or not. We did not experience any current to speak of. We had one dive with poor visibility and we could not find the wall, probably because the boat had turned on us just before we entered the water (and I neglected to take a compass bearing). That was more annoying than anything.

We have been diving with Club Med 4 times, twice each at Turks and Caicos and San Salvador. We have found the dive operations to be most accommodating to individual needs. The boats are quite large, holding up to about 40 people, I think. We never experienced a boat more than 3/4 and never felt crowded. Most divers are in small groups with a DM. They are taking lessons or being guided. Only the buddy divers are really on their own and I'd guess that 6-10 were buddy divers on any one trip. If I were you at Club Med, I would not worry about being forced to go as buddies totally on your own. Just explain that you are newbies and would like to go with a DM. I think they will accommodate you. You can direct questions to a specific Club Med through the parent organization. It's sometimes successful, anyway.

Having been to Cozumel a couple of times, I can sympathize with the depth issue. For my wife and me, it was not that so much as the speed of drift that bothered us. Two dives were really fast and we were moving at such a rate that it was impossible to stop without grabbing on to something solid. Those two dives were not pleasant and we have subsequently referred to them as thruway dives on which everything just zips by and you have no time to enjoy it.

I hope your boyfriend at least got himself one of the "I survived the Santa Rosa Wall" t-shirts!

I second the club med recommendation. Saw lots of hammerheads on both trips. Excellent food too. And club med does something I think should be the standard on every dive boat...when you come up from the first tank, there is a french bread/array of cold cuts/fruit/cake buffet as well as juice and soda.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom