San Marcos Trash Fest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a great day on Sat. Had probably 10 Swampers show up and we added a few extra.

Phazeshytft (team captain) a great on I might add, Fixxerv16, z28pwr and his lovely wife? Mizeny plus a couple of divers they brought with them (sorry can't remember their names).

RDuke with his wife Sheri and their son Drew the youngest new swamper. We also had Kandyman aka Kreg & Robin plus we picked up some of Archmans friends (you missed out dude) Crablady aka Mary with the yummy Easter cookies and Tuttt aka Teresa underwater model/mermaid and we were glad to have them and they are now Swampers as well. Sorry if I missed anyone you know age and memory do not go hand and hand.

The morning started out drizzley and humid but by the time we enter the water it was clearing and was a beautiful day.

Phazeshyft was elected team captain and he was to draw for areas of the river he picked two good areas 30 & 23. We split into two groups but decided to enter the river at 23 and float downstream to 30 since no one had chosen the area between those two sites.

We drove to the site and parked and geared up. We were staggered as we entered the water so that we did not pile up on each other. The weed was thick it took everything you had to dig down through it to find the bottom to look for trash. We ended up finding quite a few bottles and cans and other junk. Crablady found a 2lb weight and a unopened bottle of wine we were sure that it was imported uh probably from HEB.

Also in our trash as we counted it, were 5 small crawdads which we did return to the river after they were counted.

After the dive we came back to ground zero and talked while we waited to eat. The barbque was served about 3:00 and we were some hungry divers. About 3:30pm as the cold front was pushing through they started to give away prizes oh yeah everyone got a ticket and a really nice ball cap with San Marcos Trashure Hunt, anyway Drew won a reg bag, fixxerv16 won a polartec suit which he declined since it didn't fit him but ended up winning a small dive light. Phazeshyft won a book and video on limited viz diving and yours truly won a scubapro regulator not bad for digging in the mudd for an hour.

My husband and I had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone and now I am an official Swamper along with several others thanks Phazeshyft. Maybe next year we can get alot more Swampers together and beat out the Dallas group Scubadillos yeah right. If anyone is coming up this way and wants to go diving just let us know our gear is packed and ready.

Phazeshyft took pictures and said that he would post them. I hope everyone had a safe drive back home, man that storm was really bad.

Ann

We got your storm last night...thank you very much! Sound like everyone had a great time. Uh...which ScubaPro reg did you win? :wink:

Dee:
We got your storm last night...thank you very much! Sound like everyone had a great time. Uh...which ScubaPro reg did you win? :wink:

Dee I'm not that familar with Scubapro products. It is a Scubapro MK 2 plus/R190. Can you tell me bottom of the line,top of the line or middle??

BTW my reg I use now I bought in 1980 Dacor XLT, octo is a Dacor Pacer. I love it but it is heavy.

That's the bottom of the line... and what I've been diving with just fine for five years. ScubaPro makes quality products, that's all I have to say.

If my prof caught me calling her "crablady" I'd be whistling up a PhD from the other side of my mouth. :wink:

archman:
That's the bottom of the line... and what I've been diving with just fine for five years. ScubaPro makes quality products, that's all I have to say.

If my prof caught me calling her "crablady" I'd be whistling up a PhD from the other side of my mouth. :wink:

I figured as much. Freebies are not usually top of the line but hey it's newer than my old one.

Yeah she picked the name but didn't give a reason why. I wanted her to put DrCrablady being a prof an all, a really nice lady enjoyed her company.

I gotta say, not having dived since our OW, all the training came back fast. Wish we'd had a little more experience and we might have found more junk. We were trying to stay OUT of the weeds so we could see, and that was where all the good junk was. Next year we'll know better.

Great to meet everyone, 'preciate the warm welcome (and crablady's cookies).

-----

Oops, just found crablady's nylon tank-carrier in the truck when I was unloading it. She hasn't been here on the forums, has she?

Thank to everyone for showing up, i had a really great time and now i can't wait to dive the Comal river, Fixxerv16 and I may do it soon. I did take quite a few pictures and will post them probably tonight. My underwater photos have not been developed yet but those are of just fixxer and me a few fish and maybe a turtle (maybe, because i think i forgot to advance the film after the previous shot and couldnt get it fast enough before the turtle jumped off the log).

Anyway, it was a great dive, and for those that go back to the San Marcos river, try getting into the water further up stream, like near the falls, that part of the river is much clearer and not as much vegetation, more fish and a little deeper. best part of the dive for me.

gotta go, cant wait to get back in the water

Phazeshyft

The San Marcos River is great for a Night dive. I was able to do one the Wed. Night before y'all did the cleanup. Saw a really good sized Gar suprised me.

I Will keep an eye on the board maybe I can catch a Comal river Dive.

Hello all,

I dove the trash fest with Y'all, but had to leave before all the awards were given out. Which piece of trash won the award for "Most Unusual"?

- I was betting on the phone money box.

Thanks!
txbrent

txbrent:
Hello all,

I dove the trash fest with Y'all, but had to leave before all the awards were given out. Which piece of trash won the award for "Most Unusual"?

- I was betting on the phone money box.

Thanks!
txbrent

You know I was thinking the same thing after we left. They did not give out awards for most unusual that I can remember. They gave plaques out for largest group,most shoes, most bottles. It seems like there was something else but I cannot remember. We were just wanting to get on to the prizes and go home it was getting cold and was pouring rain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom