San Marcos River Clean-Up April 12, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard about this for many years and have always wanted to participate! Do you have any recommendations as to the equipment we should bring? I think I'll need to buddy up with someone also.

I've heard about this for many years and have always wanted to participate! Do you have any recommendations as to the equipment we should bring? I think I'll need to buddy up with someone also.

You will need your basic open water gear and one tank is plenty for this section of river. The PARD will supply the trash bags and food. If you show up we'll get you a dive buddy.

sounds easy enough! Thanks Jay_SMART_diver!

Here's a map showing how to get to the City Park and the San Marcos Lions Club Tube Rental.
Exit IH 35 onto Aquarena Springs Drive,
turn left onto Charles Austin Dr.,
then turn right behind Strahan Basketball Stadium
...follow the signs!

Attachments

• mapa.gif
    mapa.gif
    18.5 KB · Views: 56
I'm doing a story for the University Star about the river clean up. If anyone one who participated would like to share how it went I would greatly appreciate it. I tried to find you guys at the river, but couldn't seem to track anybody down.

I'm doing a story for the University Star about the river clean up. If anyone one who participated would like to share how it went I would greatly appreciate it. I tried to find you guys at the river, but couldn't seem to track anybody down.

I'd say that it was as successful as it could have been, considering that there were only 7 divers and maybe 20-30 bank walkers. It seemed to me that the Lion's Club was more interested the motorcycle rally that was taking place at the same time. I was even told to park across the river if I wanted to dive to help out until I pointed out the SMART truck to the parking attendant and told him I was going over there. The divers ended up having to park a truck at Rio Vista Park because the Lion's Club wasn't running their usual shuttle.

I wouldn't be too disappointed about not finding us out there, no one else seemed to know that the River Clean Up was even going on. At one point I surfaced with a bag full of trash and asked if some passing kyakers could take the bag to the shore. They gave me a dirty look and responded that they weren't with the Clean Up, they were only enjoying the river. :shakehead: When we got to Rio Vista Park, we ended up piling up about 10 bags full of cans, bottles, and other trash/litter that was found on the bottom of the river. At least the Parks and Rec people were appreciative of our efforts. It seemed to me that the River Clean Up was preempted by the Roar at the River motorcycle rally.

I hate to be cynical about this, but there seemed to be even less planning and support for the Clean Up event than last year and was completely unrecognizable from the event that used to be put on when the LDS was involved a few years back.

I still had a good time, the river was flowing nicely, with only one or two really shallow spots, and we pulled alot of garbage out of the area, so it was a success, but there needs to be more publicity and planning for the event next year, otherwise there might not even be as many people as there were this year.

I saw that somebody was there snapping pictures and taking names - what was this for?

I assume it wasn't AdamMck with the University Star.

It has been 2-3 years since I last attended this event. This used to be my favorite dive of the year. My how times have changed!

The highlight was CenTexDivin's tour of Aquarena. This year will probably be my last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom