San Marcos River Clean-Up April 12, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay_SMART_Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The San Marcos River Clean-Up will be Saturday April 12 this year. Trying to get the word out early to hopefully get a bigger turn out. Last year the Parks and Rec dept was a little late on getting the word out so here it is:

From San Marcos Parks and Recreation Flyer:It’s spring cleaning time on the San Marcos River! Divers, snorkelers, and bankwalkers are needed to help remove trash and debris from the river. Keeping this natural resource clean and beautiful is everyone’s responsibility. Food and refreshments will be provided. Call 512 393-8400 for information or to volunteer.
Age(s): All ages are welcome to assist. Anyone age 16 or under must be accompanied by a parent guardian or other adult.
Location: Meet at the Recreation Hall in City Park (Lions Club)
Date: Saturday, April 12
Time: 9:00 AM—2:00 PM

I heard was that hydrilla removal requires a permit from USFWS. Last year they were talking about getting the Science Divers to begin removal at the dam and work upstream. Great idea to get it out of the river but the concern was for the Fountain Darter and Texas Wild Rice. Still a nice drift dive to look for "treasure".

I will be at the lake tomorrow and will ask either Ethan or Ron about it.

Still a nice drift dive to look for "treasure".

I will be at the lake tomorrow and will ask either Ethan or Ron about it.

I tried the River yesterday and it was so shallow, and I was stuck and tangled in the flatlands of hydrilla and wished I could spend more time treasure hunting in the current.

I did find a pair of sun glasses on the bottom, lots of cans and bottles. :)

Shawn O.

The vegetation in the San Marcos River is not Hydrilla it is Texas Wild Rice and is only found at the headwaters of the San Marcos River, and is (thanks treehuggers) not removed like it used to be by the City.

Hi Jay,

I do know the difference. However yesterday, I went right on the river, when I guess I should have stayed left and got stuck in a 3 foot section of hydrilla, it got caught on every little thing on my rig that was not like an airplane wing, I stood up and walked out of the mess backwards, but my buddy was laughing as I looked like the swamp monster with mostly hydrilla and some other weeds stuck hanging off my gear. It may have floated down from Aquarena, but it was a mess for me, my first time trying the San Marcos River.

I was just thinking how much I hate Hydrilla underwater. Any other grass underwater is easy to part and look at the bottom as you cruise along. Just my thoughts.

Too bad about the tree huggers. I thought they were supposed to live in California

Hi Shawn,

Not to say I told you so but, I just cannot resist. I did give you a heads up regarding last weekend at the lake. As for looking like a swamp monster, you should see me after a good working dive clearing Coonstail.

Most of the vegetation in the river below Spring Lake is hydrilla. Currently they measure the remaining stands of wild rice by the square meter. Once you get past Sewel Park there is not that much wild rice left.

John (another A4 diver) and me were talking about how we would go about clearing the hydrilla and decided that we need put on an extra 20lbs of weight to fight the current so that we could literally crawl across the bottom tearing the plants up as we went along. Since you really should "bag" hydrilla for removal, we would need a couple of volunteers with a net to collect it. Nasty, zero vis work that needs a permit from Fish.

While I sure there is hydrilla in the river in some areas, I believe most of what you are seeing in the river that resembles hydrilla is really milfoil like Invasive Species: Aquatic Species - Eurasian Watermilfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum). Its leaves are a bit thinner and longer than hydrilla and it is not as rough to handle. Hydrilla will draw blood.

There are stretches of the river where dams are not slowing the current down as much and there is little vegetation. The stretch below Chambers street to I35 is fairly free of vegetation but it is quite a ride in the current. Just east of I35 you get lots of vegetatio0n again due to what is left of the dam above Cape Rd. The it is pretty clear for a good ways. Lots of current and what looked like grass carp and coi keep it pretty clear.

While I sure there is hydrilla in the river in some areas, I believe most of what you are seeing in the river that resembles hydrilla is really milfoil like Invasive Species: Aquatic Species - Eurasian Watermilfoil (Myriophyllum spicatum). Its leaves are a bit thinner and longer than hydrilla and it is not as rough to handle. Hydrilla will draw blood.

There are stretches of the river where dams are not slowing the current down as much and there is little vegetation. The stretch below Chambers street to I35 is fairly free of vegetation but it is quite a ride in the current. Just east of I35 you get lots of vegetatio0n again due to what is left of the dam above Cape Rd. The it is pretty clear for a good ways. Lots of current and what looked like grass carp and coi keep it pretty clear.

We need to get together and talk. I always want to learn. It looked like hydrilla to me!

Back
Top Bottom