San Diego accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As part of a pre-dive check with a new buddy, I always go over this. So while you may miss the significance and meaning (because we have not had that discussion), they would not. If you and I were diving together, we would both agree on what to use as the "What is your tank pressure/How much air do you have left" signal. This, stresses the importance of pre-dive discussions and planning.
Sounds good. As a backup, I keep this on the back of my slate to point at...

Lamont, I think he was asking what if you have the one diver that is already OOA and the buddy is LOA, what would you do in that situation?

you shouldn't get into that situation. if both buddies dive so that they're never LOA through carelessness, then it would take a double-equipment failure go mixed OOA+LOA.

I don't know that I'd want to dive with someone who has "Where's the boat" permanently scrawled on their slate.

Don, do you have navigational issues?

It's funny how this thread 180ed on the assisting diver, Interesting what know the facts will do. Anyway one point I wish to differ on is the female doing "everything" right. On the contrary, she could have been dragged to her death. I feel a good knee to the groin was in order. Yes she did keep her head and remembered to exhale on the way up, but from 70 feet is still risky, at least from what I've ben told. I believe doing a CESA the max depth is 30 feet. Now given this scenerio, any comments, suggestion, and opinions on how far one would go to escape this situation. Also are breakaway techinques taught in rescue classes?

I don't know that I'd want to dive with someone who has "Where's the boat" permanently scrawled on their slate.
OK
Don, do you have navigational issues?
I suppose.
It's funny how this thread 180ed on the assisting diver, Interesting what know the facts will do. Anyway one point I wish to differ on is the female doing "everything" right. On the contrary, she could have been dragged to her death. I feel a good knee to the groin was in order. Yes she did keep her head and remembered to exhale on the way up, but from 70 feet is still risky, at least from what I've ben told. I believe doing a CESA the max depth is 30 feet. Now given this scenerio, any comments, suggestion, and opinions on how far one would go to escape this situation. Also are breakaway techinques taught in rescue classes?
[-]You'll be fun in Rescue class.[/-] I just suggested to a new member that we criticize ideas, not members.

I thot the lady did great! :medal: Many of us will accept risk to save a dying bud; she did and she did. Enough has been said about how you don't really know how good you are until tested under fire. Her only possible miss was not monitoring her bud's air closer; I'm sure that was the last time that'll happen to her. :eyebrow:

Don, your comment about her not watching her buddies air supply closer is one of the points I wanted to make. I feel she learned the hard way to pay more attention. Some of the comments at the start of the thread, sounded, well hurtfull. " Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Then when more information came out things changed. I was looking to see if any replies to my comment would envoke any reaction. I guess just you...lol. I am a new diver. I come to this site to learn. Sometimes the comments I read give me the most people are too stupid to dive so go away feeling. Granted there are some, but those who want to learn more and avoid those "mistakes" can be better served. Well at least in my opinion.
I also want to point out although poorly conceived. My hope was to get some insight on what to do when your intentions go south. The female diver lost control of her attempt at aiding the distressed diver, a what lengths do you go to get it back? and is this taught anywhere?

Rescue class did cover controlling the panicked diver on the surface, altho I don't know if she has had it. Hehe, my bud was playing panicked dive in our class and managed to knee his rescuer in the groin - then had to rescue him. He got another try in the class after the pain subsided.

Personally, I do not feel that I am responsible for monitoring my buddy's gas. When we get in the water, there is a gas plan. I have asked my buddy to notify me when he reaches certain checkpoints in his gas supply. I will probably ask him his pressure at about 20 minutes; that will give me a good benchmark for where he is in comparison with what he told me on the surface before we dove. Today, for example, the man I dove with told me his average dive was to get about 45 minutes out of an Al80. I planned a 45 minute dive, and at 20 minutes, he had about 500 psi more than I thought he would have. We took our time on the way in.

EVERY diver is responsible for monitoring his own gas. If I were to dive with a student (which I don't, because I'm not an instructor), I'd feel responsible for watching their gas, because they might be overloaded or unable to do so. When I dive with a certified diver, I expect them to do this for themselves. Besides, the majority of people are diving air-integrated computers, and I can't read them from a distance, anyway!

Edited to add that anybody who is going to blow through an Al80 in 20 minutes at the depths I'd be in with a new diver is going to be pretty obvious, huffing and puffing and thrashing around.

I'm with Don, it's not my gas or your gas ... it's our gas.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom