San Diego accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.... But this all said I am still bugged by the number of thread we see here where panic resulted in a diver death, so it's a given that we have OW & AOW which just teach the basics. And rescue diver is a useful class without a doubt, wht haven't any of the better agencies came up with a "self-rescue diver" class to teach divers the skills to handle the masive task overload of a real emergency? ...
Gee ... I thought that class was called "Open Water Diver."

Fabulous job by the lady diver, few (if any) could ever do better.

The other diver, however, is a poster child for what I call Egstrom's Law (e.g., 17 repetitions of air sharing skills are required during training if you want to have 95% confidence that it will work after training).

The other diver, however, is a poster child for what I call Egstrom's Law (e.g., 17 repetitions of air sharing skills are required during training if you want to have 95% confidence that it will work after training).

Interesting.

How many folks here were taught how to actually make a shared air emergancy ascent and to practice this tech. in their basic OW certi. Also how many actually performed a CESA(controlled emergancy swimming ascent) as part of their OW cert?..I'm just curious, NAUI basic has this taught and performed in the ocean....this is an important lesson...that all should know how to do these out of air emergancy's and know the partner your diving with..discuss pryor to diving what you expect and how to handle emergencies

I think it's not only about being able to perform an air-share ascend safely (panic is pretty unpredictable and cannot really be reproduced in a training setting), but the crucial thing is that the guy obviously ran out of air out of sheer carelessness, and that can be avoided, if not by the diver himself, then by the buddy.
I agree that the woman did a great job. The only thing she didn't do was to monitor his air, since he seemed to be incapable of doing it himself. I know it's everybody's resposibility, not your buddy's, to monitor your air, but even for my own sake if not for my buddy's, I personally would like to know that my buddy, just like me, has enough air to get us both to the surface safely.
Of course I don't all the time check my regular buddy, whom I know and trust, on how much air he has. But when I dive with a new buddy, especially someone who may be an airhog (inexperienced, overweight, male, sorry guys ;-)), I do make sure that I ask or at least take a secret glance at his gages every now and then.

I think it's not only about being able to perform an air-share ascend safely (panic is pretty unpredictable and cannot really be reproduced in a training setting), but the crucial thing is that the guy obviously ran out of air out of sheer stupidity or carelessness, and that can be avoided, if not by the diver himself, then by the buddy.
I agree that the woman did a great job. The only thing she didn't do was to monitor his air, since he seemed to be incapable of doing it himself. I know it's everybody's resposibility, not your buddy's, to monitor your air, but even for my own sake if not for my buddy's, I personally would like to know that my buddy, just like me, has enough air to get us both to the surface safely.
Of course I don't all the time check my regular buddy, whom I know and trust, on how much air he has. But when I dive with a new buddy, especially someone who may be an airhog (inexperienced, overweight, male, sorry guys ;-)), I do make sure that I ask or at least take a secret glance at his gages every now and then.

yep, I'll do that secret glance also with a new buddy.

I am not quite that sneaky (to sneak peeks at a console). I will stop mid water column, face them and tap my computer asking what their remaining pressure is. I will also be OK if they do the same. And if for some reason they do not like the fact that I did this, then I guess there will be no second dive. It only takes a second and can prevent so much.

How many folks here were taught how to actually make a shared air emergancy ascent and to practice this tech. in their basic OW certi. Also how many actually performed a CESA(controlled emergancy swimming ascent) as part of their OW cert?

I was taught a shared air ascent and did a CESA in both the pool and OW, however I am not sure how I would react in an emergency. Doing it once or twice doesn't prepare you. Those skills need to be practiced often - which I myself am guilty of not doing. I always tell myself I'll practice on my next dive and then get caught up in seeing the thing sunk in the quarry that I haven't seen yet...so practice doesn't take place.

What "secret glance?" Almost every time I check my contents I show it to my buddy and I expect my buddy to show me his or her contents, and vice-versa.

Yep, I monitor my bud's air...
I am not quite that sneaky (to sneak peeks at a console). I will stop mid water column, face them and tap my computer asking what their remaining pressure is. I will also be OK if they do the same. And if for some reason they do not like the fact that I did this, then I guess there will be no second dive. It only takes a second and can prevent so much.
Yep, well - I show my SPG or twirl my finger to indicate the question. I might not understand your computer tap...? :confused:
What "secret glance?" Almost every time I check my contents I show it to my buddy and I expect my buddy to show me his or her contents, and vice-versa.
Yep, our air is our air...

Yep, well - I show my SPG or twirl my finger to indicate the question. I might not understand your computer tap...? :confused:

As part of a pre-dive check with a new buddy, I always go over this. So while you may miss the significance and meaning (because we have not had that discussion), they would not. If you and I were diving together, we would both agree on what to use as the "What is your tank pressure/How much air do you have left" signal. This, stresses the importance of pre-dive discussions and planning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom