San Clemente Island was NICE on Saturday 16th JUN 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fnfalman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The sky was overcast and the sun wouldn't come out until we were half way home, but the air was warm and so was the water. Water temps ran between 61-F and 64-F, viz was standard SoCal around 20-ft horizontal. Water condition was unreal though: flat as a pancake on top, practically zero surge, no current. Kelp forest is thick but some are dying due to the warm water. We didn't see anything out of the ordinary except for one sighting of a black seabass and a diver claimed that he saw a soupfin shark during the night dive (more like the pre-dawn dive than night).

I saw some eels, two good size sand dabs about 6" long, several large abalones and scallops. Tons of small lobsters. ONE lonesome white spotted sea lemon and two sea hares making whoopee. The fun part was swimming among the thick kelps, especially watching the sun rises underwater. A few free divers were out hunting as well.

The most exciting thing of the day was around noonish, the US Navy started blowing things up. That was our cue to get the hell outta Dodge. About a mile from the island, we saw a massive explosion that threw up a serious spew of dirt. As always, the Great Escape provided excellent services and grubs.

Two divers began their OWs, and you can see the smiles on their faces that they're hooked for life.

DiveTripSanClemente16JUN12011.jpg

DiveTripSanClemente16JUN12005.jpg

DiveTripSanClemente16JUN12018.jpg

DiveTripSanClemente16JUN12012.jpg

DiveTripSanClemente16JUN12010.jpg

It sounds like awesome conditions and a good trip. Thanks for the report.

Heard reports of blue sharks being sighted out there this weekend (although I wonder if they were actually soupfins). See anything like that or did your wetsuit hood scare them away, HT?

We have heard some big BOOMS (or were they BOMBS?) over here on Catalina coming from the direction of San Clemente. Hope that doesn't mean we're heading for Iran!

Dr. Bill,

I did not see any shark at all, not even a horned shark but one of the guys said that he saw a soupfin during our pre-dawn dive. And yes, many booms and one BIG GOOM that spew dirt hundreds of feet in the air. It was like Saving Private Ryan or something.

HT what boat were you on?

I was forwarded the pix of the "blue" shark they saw and it was a soupfin as I suspected.

I was out there over Memorial weekend, and had about half a dozen Soupfin encounters.

Love to see the happy smiles of the newly-hooked divers! We had a TON of OW students on our last dive trip.

Re the sun - same thing happened to us last weekend on the Peace - overcast during all of our dives, but it broke through bright and shiny just in time for the ride home. :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom