Samaesan diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdfmail

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've heard from a few of my Thai friends that there was a diving accident at Sattaheap, but I don't see any mention here. Apparently, two divers went missing. Any info?

There was some footage on Thai TV News tonight with shots of the body of the student diver and the scuba equipment being brought on land. The reporter said that the Instructor hasn't been found yet and that local divers were invited to call a certain local number to join a planned underwater search for him. There was also mentioned that any diver interested in helping should be able to dive to 50 meters depth and that the body of the student diver was found in a channel under a rock at 49 meters deep. It was even suggested that "the authorities" now thought that the Instructor could be stuck under a rock too!
Nothing was said about the victim being found in a shipwreck but it was mentioned that foreign (farang) divers had found the body first.

It's sad and frustrating to see that there's apparently so little known yet about what really happened to those two people. I hope the people who are going to organize and/or join the proposed underwater search will know what they do and not get themselves into trouble.

Am I having trouble reading or what's up. Did the quote passed on from Aquanauts not say the students body was found IN THE HARDEEP? Now I was just diving on the Hardeep a week ago. To the sand outside the wreck was less than 30 meters. In fact I needed to swim a fair distance off the wreck to start getting close to 30M.

I do not understand how now he was found under a rock at 49M. That would have to be some distance from being inside the Hardeep. What am I missing?

John

You're missing that the student was indeed NOT found inside the Hardeep but at a diffrent location.

No I got that part. But which story is the true story? And if not in the Hardeep then why would a Pattaya Dive Shop post a message on the forum that they had talked to the Course Director also in Pattaya that found the body and say that it was in the Hardeep?

How did the information get so screwed up and who is responsible for the screw up?

John

The version that was published in the Nation, I consider to be more trustworthy.

The other questions, why don't you ask the persons responsible for those posts, I don't have an answer to that.

No I got that part. But which story is the true story? And if not in the Hardeep then why would a Pattaya Dive Shop post a message on the forum that they had talked to the Course Director also in Pattaya that found the body and say that it was in the Hardeep?

How did the information get so screwed up and who is responsible for the screw up?

John

Indeed, aquanauts posted:

>Just heard that the body of the missing dive student was found today by Russ, the CD at Mermaid's, inside the Hardeep. Instructor still missing.

After many years in thailand, in all honesty, I would believe aquanauts over the Thai press. That being said, stuff does get scrambled on the expat grape vine as well.

As noted, you are hard pushed to find much more than 30 meters nearby hardeep.

The version that was published in the Nation, I consider to be more trustworthy.

The other questions, why don't you ask the persons responsible for those posts, I don't have an answer to that.

Not really asking you to answer but was just clarifying what I was asking in a question form.

Since Aquanauts made the original post and seems to be active on the forum I am waiting for them to make a clarification posting to answer the question.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom