Saltwater issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
After my second saltwater dives of the season, I've noticed a disturbing trend, and I am unsure what to do about it.

When I dive saltwater, if I do a reg exchange, or anything else where I get saltwater into my mouth, I get very queasy later. I have not tried this from a shore dive, only from a boat. I do not get motion sickness easily, and the boat movement didn't seem to make things any worse. I drank cold water and gatorade (rain) and started to feel better in a couple of hours.

This issue threatens to disrupt my wreck diving in the southeast, and while I am not a huge fan of saltwater in the first place, I would like to be able to dive it without significant issue.

I'd welcome comments on how to keep my stomach in check when doing these dives.

Thanks.

I sounds like you may be swallowing some sea water. I can think of no other reason.

I agree with WC. It has to be more than a salt little water in the mouth to cause you to get queasy.

No,

Actually it's not. I am not swallowing seawater. In fact, on my first saltwater dive of the season, I was actually ok with everything until we started back in, and the saltspray started hitting me. I was certainly not swallowing it, but the smell and salty taste around my mouth made me nauseous.

Maybe my body has a natural aversion to seawater.

PerroneFord:
No,

Actually it's not. I am not swallowing seawater. In fact, on my first saltwater dive of the season, I was actually ok with everything until we started back in, and the saltspray started hitting me. I was certainly not swallowing it, but the smell and salty taste around my mouth made me nauseous.

Maybe my body has a natural aversion to seawater.

Are these your first dives in saltwater conditions,,,,or just sorta something new this season with your saltwater diving?

texdiveguy:
Are these your first dives in saltwater conditions,,,,or just sorta something new this season with your saltwater diving?

I am very new to saltwater diving. I did my OW cert many years ago in saltwater, but had done no other saltwater dives until this summer.

PerroneFord:
I am very new to saltwater diving. I did my OW cert many years ago in saltwater, but had done no other saltwater dives until this summer.

Everyone of us handle o/w saltwater diving differntly and one trip you may be fine and the next you might have this sea-sickness type issue. I have only heard a few folks mention that the saltwater even in min. amounts caused the ill feelings. Hmmm I would think that the saltwater and boat motion are playing together on you in some part. I can tell you that ussually the more you do o/w boat runs the better you will get over time to becoming acclimated to it. Hope others have some insights that might lend assistance to you. *Alot to be said for fresh water diving!!! :)

The curious thing, is that on the ride in this weekend, which was 22 miles... the boat was making 26 knots in 3-4ft seas. this was a 27ft boat. He was hustling, and we had wing making whitecaps. I felt GREAT! In sitting in the boat sipping fluids for 3 hours, I felt fine. It was just the 30-60 minutes after the dive that I felt queasy. Enough for me to pass on the second dive of the day.

My hydration was good. Electolytes were in order, I had good sleep for both trips, etc. I will try to do a shore dive later in the month to see if the boat + salt is in fact the culprit, but I suspect it isn't.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts thus far.

Blasting through waves may be exciting and might keep you too occupied to get sea sick. Doing a dive and then laying around on a boat at anchor can easily get you sick.

dumpsterDiver:
Blasting through waves may be exciting and might keep you too occupied to get sea sick. Doing a dive and then laying around on a boat at anchor can easily get you sick.

I felt queasy before I got off the ladder... After sipping fluids and taking a light nap, I felt better. We were at anchor for over 3 hours without me feeling sick afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom