Saltwater issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its possible you got an inner ear spin from the actual dive you just finished....I have on rare occassions surfaced and found I was a bit queasy.....nothing within the dive standed out as a culprit to my uneasy feeling...it just happened,,,in each case the sensation would pass shorty on its own. I have heard were divers after surfacing might attempt an eqlz. to help 'un-stop' the ears, and in fact only one side clears causing a feeling of dizzyness for a bit.

EDIT: Nevermind, everything I said was both mentioned and addressed between my starting to type and hitting submit.

Good luck!

Texdiveguy, that's an interesting theory. If true, I should suffer the same feelings after a shore dive.. might have to try a few to see a recurrance...

texdiveguy:
I have heard were divers after surfacing might attempt an eqlz. to help 'un-stop' the ears, and in fact only one side clears causing a feeling of dizzyness for a bit.

This happened to me while driving home the other day- it was not a pleasant experience. Luckily, it passed just as I was figuring out how bad it would be to try to pull off the highway. I was diving a little stuffy and after the 3rd or 4th dive, my ears didn't feel 100%...

Anyhow, back to Perrone- were you diving in heavy surge? If your symptoms happen after the dive, maybe it's surge, or maybe it's just enough of all the little factors to put you over the edge. Do you take dramamine or anything for motion sickness?

Come to think of it, normally, I get quesy easily, but if I look at the horizon and stay above decks, I can hold it together. If I get a noseful of diesel exhaust, it starts to fall apart.

do it easy:
Anyhow, back to Perrone- were you diving in heavy surge? If your symptoms happen after the dive, maybe it's surge, or maybe it's just enough of all the little factors to put you over the edge. Do you take dramamine or anything for motion sickness?

Come to think of it, normally, I get quesy easily, but if I look at the horizon and stay above decks, I can hold it together. If I get a noseful of diesel exhaust, it starts to fall apart.

Define "heavy surge". I'm a newbie with these ocean terms. I don't take dramamine or any drugs for motion sickness. I've seen lots of people hurl in conditions that caused me no trouble at all. I can look up, down, or do the hokey pokey, and generally don't have any problems. Diesel doesn't bother me at all.

What is interesting, is that a few times today, after getting home, I've had some dizzyness. Nothing alarming... so I am giving Texdiveguy's words a lot of credence. Although my nasal cavaties are open, and I have no stopped up feeling.

Stange.

Actually, that's not at all uncommon. The salt taste will make you get sea sick easier. Immediately after your dive, rinse out your mouth and suck a piece of hard candy. Peach Jolly Ranchers are the best after dive pills.

Walter:
Actually, that's not at all uncommon. The salt taste will make you get sea sick easier. Immediately after your dive, rinse out your mouth and suck a piece of hard candy. Peach Jolly Ranchers are the best after dive pills.

Thanks for the tip walter. First thing I did when I got my tanks off was reach in the cooler for some cold water. And it began to help almost immediately.

Define "heavy surge". I'm a newbie with these ocean terms.

I think you've got more saltwater dives than I do, but I guess it would be when the ocean is rocking you back and forth more than 6' at a clip. I'm not sure if it even has to be "heavy"- I was just in the Keys this summer and there was mild surge- between 1' and 2' of motion- for several hours after the dive, if I lay down and closed my eyes, it still felt as if I was rocking. My point is that maybe all the subte effects are adding up...

Anyhow, my advice is to stick with the freshwater- we all know you are a hard core freshwater diver. Your gear will thank you. :D

Were both dives in choppy water, I have seen some divers get sick going from the calmwater of a dive to choppy water at a safety stop or exiting the water.

Randy

Actually, the water was choppy the other month, but quite flat this time. there was little current on the last dives, and a very strong surface current on this dive, and a decent current down deep.

Safety stop was pretty unremarkable.

Back
Top Bottom