Ear issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't seen any reports of injury or damage from sticking things in the ear.

Not such a great photo (hard to get a good shot with a wriggling child), but this is a 5 year old kid that I saw in my office yesterday. I had seen him two months ago after he punched a hole in his eardrum with a q-tip. It's still open. Will probably need surgery.

perf.jpg

Some great tips here, the store bought Auro ears drops I have for relieving water logged ears is 95% Alcohol 5% Glycerine.
So not sure about the best ratio.
Also I assume wax in the ears is beneficial and protective or is Olive Oil a good idea to soften the wax and remove it.

Some great tips here, the store bought Auro ears drops I have for relieving water logged ears is 95% Alcohol 5% Glycerine.
So not sure about the best ratio.
Also I assume wax in the ears is beneficial and protective or is Olive Oil a good idea to soften the wax and remove it.

Right, those drops are OK, I usually say to add a little bit of white vinegar as well to drop the pH and help reduce bacterial growth: https://kidsent.com/pediatricent/oe/index.html

A thin layer of wax is there for a reason, you shouldn't constantly use stuff like Debrox or hydrogen peroxide to strip it away. There are some products with natural oils that can act as protectants. "Softening" the wax rarely helps and doesn't remove it.

Back
Top Bottom