Salt River Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK I do dive the salt River.... Even Now.

AND YES the bus drivers Will cary you and YOUR TANKS. I normaly just Stop in there
shop. Buy a pass and then drive to there first stop at the beggining of there run.

Back on 8/8/09 I asked one of the dispatchers (Macarthy?) if it were possable to
hall my stuff on the buss. They said if I can carry it!
I had the dispatcher ACTULY SIGN my Yellow pamplt it states
"OK TO TRANSPORT PSGR & SCUBA GEAR" and yes he signed and dated it!

I did that the whole season. Sometimes My wife would also dive with me. That way
one person would just park there car at the last stop, hall the gear up to the head
and scuba dive down. Its a blast. normaly its a nice slow drift dive. Mild enugh to
just drop your "Drag Rope" and check things out! Then just go back to your tube
and float alonge untill you find something else to check on.

There are several times you will have to actuly ride your tube thrue the rappids. Gives you a 5 or 10 minet brake. Then once you get back to some calmer water just rool off your tube and continue on! And when the weather is warmer you will lurn
to expect peopel will try to get your attention by dropping things down on you!
The amazing thing is Under water YOU CAN BREATH Tubers Can't.

Has anyone been in the river lately?

What about a night dive? Miss the crowds?

My wife and I tubed the river yesterday (Saturday). It was a different perspective for me. I dove the river from Sheep's Crossing a few times last year. First time tubing for both of us.
The water temp felt like mid 60s but I didn't have a thermometer so I guessed. Flow seemed slow to moderate. The SRP website gives the outflow from Stewart Mountain dam as 850 cfs on Friday. The river seems high right now.

Last edited:
How far did you tube? where did you put in /get out? Find any treasures?

Well, I'm posting this late. Last Sunday my nephew and I dove Sheep's Crossing. The water is very high and flowing at a moderate rate. As Steve mentioned its cold. 64 degrees is what showed up on my computer and dive watch. Just a bit chilly for a 3 mill.

The winter floods has cleaned a lot of the bottom but if you know where to look there is still plenty of trash, treasure's and what not. John found a pair of binoculars, a leatherman tool in its case and the usual sunglasses. I didn't have that much luck since due to my nature I was pushing my camera around on the first dive. I did find a pristine pirates flag that now graces my dive shed.

As soon as I can I want to head back again.

Let me know when you go. I'll try to make it if I'm in town. We have some dive travel scheduled in July so it might have to wait until August. By then there should be quite a lot of booty just waiting to be had...er um.. I mean plenty of stuff waiting to be "salvaged".

I am interested in heading out there the 4th of July weekend if someone is looking for a partner!
I am thinking real early morning if we can do it without the bus. It will be my first time. What do you all use for a "drag line"?
THX

I'll be diving the river for my first time ever this weekend. I will be going with my brother and two cousins that have about 5 years of dive experience. I am curious where the most popular entry point is for the River. I see people mentioning Sheeps Crossing and Granite Reef Dam but I have no idea where they are at. Is it the same as the entry and exit points for the tubers? Along that road that goes up to Saguaro Lake and then on to intersect with the B-Line?

Any information that could be provided would be great.

Thanks!

Went to Sheeps crossing today. About as expected. Water temp was mid 70's and vis a few feet. Lots of tubers.

Jeff

Low 7o's water temp today at Sheeps Crossing. Lots of the usual treasures. Actually kept some this time. A pocket knife and a pair of Versace glasses that looked like they were very recently lost.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom