Question Sailing and Diving? ⛵️🤿

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morlan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently completed PADI OW and ASA 101/103 certifications and just wondering if anyone goes sailing and diving together? Not the quickest way to get out to a dive site but seems like a great way for me to enjoy both of my new hobbies.

~Mor

I recently completed PADI OW and ASA 101/103 certifications and just wondering if anyone goes sailing and diving together? Not the quickest way to get out to a dive site but seems like a great way for me to enjoy both of my new hobbies.

~Mor
If you are ever around in the Mediterranean, check out Sailingbubbles. Lucio and Elisa do Sailing/diving charters to the islands around Sicily. I have shipped with them three times and will do so again.

I love to sail but found diving from my sailboat ok only in very flat conditions. My boat always wanted to sail out her anchor even with no sail on her just her rig. There not easy to get back into and will roll when stopped in any kind of sea. I found taking in my gear using the boom very handy but the cockpit a bit small . I dive solo and was always a little nervous in case a breeze sprung up when I was away from her unless I was actually on a mooring to a wreck that was well tied in. There lovely to travel in but not so nice when stopped. Of course if you have a gin palace that's different mine was only 25 feet. A folkboat.

We dived off a catamaran that we chartered in the Whitsundays. Was fun but as the boat didn't have any provision for storing dive bottles we had to step over them for the week which wasn't ideal. Also no compressor.
If you have a yacht that has a compressor and you have the time it would be awesome.

We dived off a catamaran that we chartered in the Whitsundays. Was fun but as the boat didn't have any provision for storing dive bottles we had to step over them for the week which wasn't ideal. Also no compressor.
If you have a yacht that has a compressor and you have the time it would be awesome.
Looks like there are definitely some challenges to diving while sailing but...

Sailing and diving go great together, and I consider being able to dive to scout/fix an anchor/mooring to be very valuable for all sailors...
...still doable and GiraffeMarineSalvage has some good tips that might be able to help with 👇

I love to sail but found diving from my sailboat ok only in very flat conditions. My boat always wanted to sail out her anchor even with no sail on her just her rig. There not easy to get back into and will roll when stopped in any kind of sea. I found taking in my gear using the boom very handy but the cockpit a bit small . I dive solo and was always a little nervous in case a breeze sprung up when I was away from her unless I was actually on a mooring to a wreck that was well tied in. There lovely to travel in but not so nice when stopped. Of course if you have a gin palace that's different mine was only 25 feet. A folkboat.

If you are ever around in the Mediterranean, check out Sailingbubbles. Lucio and Elisa do Sailing/diving charters to the islands around Sicily. I have shipped with them three times and will do so again.

Thanks for the recommendations; will definitely look into those sites if/when I ever head out there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom