Safety warning issued due to high surf 1/15/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Someone let everyone know re conditions. I would love to try and get a dive or two in, especially as I am I'm reach of 100!

Michelle,

I almost didn't go because my wetsuit wasn't completely dry, I had dove with Robin just the other day and he wiped me out with just two dives.

Michelle can you believe I haven't dove that sticken DUI suit yet? I've been so busy with all other crap in my life that I haven't had time to read the Nitrox book.

My instructor wants to knock out drysuit and nitrox at the same time. So I froze at Break Water, I couldn't do three dives.

Anyway, Devin threatened that if I didn't go he was never going to talk to me again, J/K He was such a cool relaxed diver to partner up with, no rush, just really easy going diver.

When I pulled up to Monastery I called Devin and told him it was looking nice and calm, then when I entered to pay, the park ranger said they had incredible viz the day before and that I was in for a treat today. I thought yeah right, I've been here twice before with rotten conditions. I was very wrong :wink:

As I pulled up this is what I saw...

YouTube - Pt Lobos cove

Well, I'm glad Devin threatened you because it definitely looks like you have great conditions. I remember the one time you had rotten conditions there. That was the worst I've ever seen there, so I'm really happy you got to see the good side of Lobos. :D

Hopefully, you'll get your drysuit class in soon. Then you can do every dive of the day without freezing your a** off too.

I checked out all your videos from the day. They look great! Makes me want to be diving right now. :wink:

Sarah I am extremely close to 100 myself.. actually I have been bad and need to catchup the logbook so I may be closer than I think.

As far as the conditions, I have found that this buoy forecast model while it may not be 100% accurate very far out, doesn't lie about drastic changes. (Learned that last week at Monastery)

enp.46042.bull.2.png

The forecast has improved:

.SAT...N WINDS 10 KT...BECOMING NW IN THE AFTERNOON.
WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS. W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT AT 18 SECONDS.
.SAT NIGHT...N WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR LESS.
W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT.
.SUN...NW WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING NE. WIND WAVES 2 FT OR
LESS. W SWELL 5 TO 7 FT.

But 18 seconds is a long interval, he surge will reach deep.

Just a quick word for everyone, I was planning on diving this AM but couldn't because of my buddy. The sun is out, the wind is dead and the ocean is flat on the Monterey side. I would definitely be diving if I could. Sorry I can't offer a dive report!

If I could get free I would put up with a bit of surge. Looks like to soonest I could have a remote chance of getting down there would be Monday.

I am not sure that I could actually do it on Monday - depends upon some work stuff that I may, or may not, need to take care. I'll keep checking in on here though.

It's actually quite flat at Breakwater right now. We are down for the weekend....alas no diving for us, but we took the bikes to Breakwater a few hours ago, and spoke to some divers. One claimed 30' viz out further along the wall, and the water looked surprisingly calm relative to the models.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom