Safety Sausage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When in a drysuit, SMB + spool go in a pocket. When I have used a reel instead of a spool I have clipped this to my rear crotch strap d-ring. I prefer spools for SMBs though.

In a wetsuit I clip it to rear crotch strap d-ring.

Actually the first time I saw the white garbage bag idea was in a post by a rescue helicopter pilot who said it dramatically improved your chances of rescue. I don't know if that is empirical enough evidence for you. Take it for what it is worth - but this guy had years of experience in exactly what we are talking about.

My home bud attached his new spool and sausage to each other, stuck them in his BC pocket, left it open and lost the pair on the first dive. I clip mine to a D ring.
I have never carried an SMB and never needed one. Then, two nights ago, I watched the film OPEN WATER.

Now, I need two - Where do I sign up???:D
It has always amazed me that anyone would go to sea without surface signaling devices. :shocked2: I carry several on every dive and my sausage has been with me since dive 1. Used it last week, along with my fold-up snorkel in some chop. It sucks to read about someone drowning on the surface from waves.
And when you get one, practice shooting it from depth......also, I now(thanks to Dandy Don here) have a 30 gallon white garbage bag in a BC pocket 98% of the time, a 3 cent piece of insurance(ie a white garbage bag spread out on top of the water's gunna be helpful in spotting you from above...:))
Haha I got that idea from a private boater who dropped his wife and best friend on a Florida Keys dive, then didn't see them again for like 15 hours until they managed to swim ashore and were picked up on the OSH. If I get lost at sea, I want all the signaling tools I can carry on every dive. Not very durable so I carry one on a trip, then use it for garbage when I get home.
I don't want to start a debate over this. Is there actual empirical evidence that supports this?

It is an interesting concept, but I can't think of a few ways this may not work and for another few dollars, there are products out there that are proven to work.

I'm always willing to look at something if it can save a buck or two!
I suggest it in addition to, not in place of...
For starters it may look too much like a white cap. It would take two hands or two people to hold open. How would it stay flat on the surface?

I like the concept, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it would work as well as you hope and want.

I'm not a rep for this product.

For $44 more, I'd put my money on this thing...http://www.rescuestreamer.com

I've read of dry land rescue scenarios with this product, but I haven't read of one in the water yet.

Just look at how they have designed and made this product. Frankly I think they may have started with the 30# trash bag.
Then you get into the limits of what a vacation diver will buy, carry on every dive, etc. Carry all you want, but at least a few things.
Actually the first time I saw the white garbage bag idea was in a post by a rescue helicopter pilot who said it dramatically improved your chances of rescue. I don't know if that is empirical enough evidence for you. Take it for what it is worth - but this guy had years of experience in exactly what we are talking about.
May also be inflated and illuminated with a dive light at night, and if I am lost at night, I'm going to want the big, glowing white bag ready to use. May not last long, but it's a shot. I also carry a dive light on every dive, and don't forget that your camera strobe can be flashed.

My DAN tag and signal mirror are separate but now the tags include those. I try to save enough air on the surface as a safety reserve of course, and part of that is for my Dive Alert whistle. Hehe, even managed to blow it once after my worst screw up lead to a CESA, but then I bailed at the first sign of trouble and avoided using expanding back gas.

Don't get me wrong. I'm going to take one with me and try it.

The best place for a spool is in a pocket, as they have a tendency to unravel without noticing, posing an entanglement hazard.

I've seen this way too many times. SMB and spool unraveled and trailed everywhere underwater.

I have a utility pouch on my BPW's waist belt that I keep the SMB and spool in whenever I do a blue water dive. For regular boat diving that is close to shore or in a cove, they stay in the dive bag. No need to drag more stuff than you need.

Yeah, probly is better in a pocket, but do close it and don't drop when you handle it. See if you can clip to a D ring close to the pocket and still get it inside? Maybe use a cable tie to make an extension...?

Take a look at youtube for safety sausage demonstrations.....there is one or two really good deployments. SMB w/ spool goes in the pocket. Cheers

Wound correctly and clipped off your spools will not unravel. A SMB or lift bag as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom