Safest locales for diving around the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha, Okinawa, Been there multiple times and all hours of the night, usually drunk and never had a problem. It is a place I hope to get back to now since I am out of the military.
Never felt unsafe on the streets. They say the diving there is awesome as well.

Went there in 94,96,98, 1yr 02-03, and last in 2010. First 4 times always bought a bicycle and snorkeled all over. Last time, I bought a car, got Certified, and Dove my arss off for 3 months before heading to other places. The coral reefs were pristine, If you ever get the chance, make the 1hr boat trip to the Karama Islands. Simply amazing.

Cayman Brac, Grenada, Loreto Baja Sur, MX, Cozumel, Bonaire. Any of the Hawaiian islands as well.

Went there in 94,96,98, 1yr 02-03, and last in 2010. First 4 times always bought a bicycle and snorkeled all over. Last time, I bought a car, got Certified, and Dove my arss off for 3 months before heading to other places. The coral reefs were pristine, If you ever get the chance, make the 1hr boat trip to the Karama Islands. Simply amazing.
Actually, I'm beginning to plan a trip there for early Spring 2021. Definitely going to do Kerama Islands, Ishigaki and Yogaguni. We plan on going early enough to do the Humpback Whale dive. I've heard so many great things about diving Okinawa, but for some reason it's off the radar mostly around these parts.

Cayman Islands - health & safety good to very good. People quite honest and law-abiding. Diving/ snorkeling environment usually safe/generally easy. Kid friendly and lots to see and do. Pretty high standards in diving/safety etc. They were actually very picky on solo diving in some spots. Pricey. Probably safer than USA and definitely safer than some American cities. Convenient flights.

I always felt safe in Coz but it’s Mexico and nearby areas now suffering an outbreak of narco violence, crime and corruption. Such a shame. Idk anymore. Cozumel Dive operators were top notch though. Coz also has some serious dedicated life guards who impressed me.

I mean bombs on the Playa del Carmen ferry ? Murders in Playa and Cancun in the narco terrorist style ? Worrying. At the least you could fly direct to the island and avoid mainland altogether.

Fiji. Felt safe in all locations esp outside bigger cities but even in Suva. In fact, I felt safer in Suva than in the past. I gravitate to outer islands resorts/lodges which are generally very kid friendly. Fijians are just people friendly really. Beautiful place. May not be entirely 100% up to USA health standards but I have never had issues. Probably wouldn’t want major brain surgery done there. According to everyone I talked to to they liked the semi-authoritarian guy running the country.

I know you said outside USA but Maui or Catalina Island (in Summer or early Fall) pretty great for kids and safe.

I have taken kids, successfully, on ocean oriented/diving/snorkeling trips, multiple times,to all of the above. Loved them all.

Caribbean - Bonaire and Curacao (particularly Westpunt) are both safe. Have been to most other Caribbean islands and you have to take precautions.
Canada - Brockville with the St Lawrence River and no thermoclines is safe.

Actually, I'm beginning to plan a trip there for early Spring 2021. Definitely going to do Kerama Islands, Ishigaki and Yogaguni. We plan on going early enough to do the Humpback Whale dive. I've heard so many great things about diving Okinawa, but for some reason it's off the radar mostly around these parts.
The culture and Diving is wonderful there, Many old castles and a very large cave system to check out. Corals are vibrant and near shore some of them perfect for snorkeling as well. One of my favorites is Bolo Point, and Meada Point. I didn't see trash in the water either. Just a great place to be. I think that the rest of the community just don't know much about the southern Japan islands.

The culture and Diving is wonderful there, Many old castles and a very large cave system to check out. Corals are vibrant and near shore some of them perfect for snorkeling as well. One of my favorites is Bolo Point, and Meada Point. I didn't see trash in the water either. Just a great place to be. I think that the rest of the community just don't know much about the southern Japan islands.
Yeah. I’m just not familiar with the sub-surface (particularly of the surrounding ocean) as I would like to be. I was on the PADI site and they said Japan was second only to the USA in number of certified scuba divers. And we have almost 3 times as many people.

Dominica is a very safe island. Tourists are pretty much ignored, except for those who come off cruise ships. Actually, New Jersey is an extremely safe place to dive. In a half century of diving here I've never seen a crime against divers. Parking violations are the major risk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom