Safe Diving Practices - Yes or No?

Do you adhere to Safe Diving Practices?

• Yes. All stated practices. Strictly and at all times.

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • Partially. Some of the practices, all of the time.

Votes: 55 48.2%
  • Partially. All of the practices, some of the time.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Never. I don't consider them applicable to me.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Never. I wasn't aware that such agency recommendations existed.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too late to edit my post now, so a new post just to clarify my last post. Specifics regarding the amount of weight to add is not mentioned, rather:

"Air consumption and the buoyancy check:
  • During a dive, your tank will become more buoyant because the air you breathe from it has weight.
  • Take this into consideration when conducting buoyancy checks at the beginning of a dive, when your tank is full.
  • Depending on the tank you use, you may need to weight yourself slightly heavy at the beginning of a dive, so you’ll be neutrally buoyant at the end.
  • Consider conducting a buoyancy check at the end of your dive as well."

It's relevant to PADI divers... who are taught to check weights using a pre-dive check. That description is an abbreviated reference to the technique they are taught. It could be more clear, but the reference doesn't describe the full technique or how to conduct it.

As mentioned several times in the thread - the debate is about safe diving practices that apply to you (your training). It's not about criticising the practices, standards and recommendations that don't apply to you...

Thal... how about sharing some insights from the scientific diving program?
From a Scientific Diving Safety Officer's perspective:

I fear that my insights do not support lists of "safe diving procedures." First of all there is the semantic question of the word "safe." Nothing in diving is safe, what we try to do is, "minimize risks." We spend a lot of time discussing and working through, in class, examples of how to identify and minimize risks using both Failure Mode Analysis and Probabilistic Risk Analysis approaches and techniques.

I do not like these sorts of lists, they are pre-chewed, pre-digested material with all the nutrition removed. Lists of the sort that were presented here, I would argue, are anathema to real diving risk management. Such lists are predicated on the idea that those whom I would define as Novice or Beginner divers are being put into the water unsupervised and that is something that, while commonplace in the recreational world, we simply do not do.

I can think of two areas where we have used such lists: Flying After Diving and Dive Computers. The Flying After Diving list is UHMS thing designed by lawsuit-shy physicians for Novice or Beginner divers that we never should have signed on to; and Dive Computer list (which I have to accept significant responsibility for) was a political piece of business that I spearheaded when I was much younger and had yet to define things, for myself, as clearly as I do today. Today my knee-jerk reaction would be to oppose it, but the politics of the moment (remember that back then most everyone except for a very small group of scientific diving administrators and very few manufacturers was opposed to dive computers) might have won me over in the end.
Thal,

As part of the weight check as taught in OW as well as other programs, the students are taught to add 4lbs if the weight check was done with a full tank.

Bill

Too late to edit my post now, so a new post just to clarify my last post. Specifics regarding the amount of weight to add is not mentioned, rather:

"Air consumption and the buoyancy check:
  • During a dive, your tank will become more buoyant because the air you breathe from it has weight.
  • Take this into consideration when conducting buoyancy checks at the beginning of a dive, when your tank is full.
  • Depending on the tank you use, you may need to weight yourself slightly heavy at the beginning of a dive, so you’ll be neutrally buoyant at the end.
  • Consider conducting a buoyancy check at the end of your dive as well."
That is the way it should be done, perhaps someone might suggest that PADI fix the list to reflect that?

Our shop tries to adhere to all safety precautions....We don't want to endanger anyones life! Safety should be the most important
aspect of any dive...

Our shop tries to adhere to all safety precautions....

"Do or do not... there is no try".

Yoda_SWSB.jpg

It'd be nice to think that common sense made such declarations/statements unnecessary. If that were true, there wouldn't be any otherwise avoidable dive accidents.

Shouldn't 'common sense' dictate that every diver followed stated safe diving practices? When is it common sense not to?

I don't consider solo diving unsafe so common sense for me is that I can still solo dive and be a safe diver. While someone that just got certified may not be safe at solo diving, so common sense would indicate that he dive with a buddy.

The problem I have with these rules is that the agencies are arrogant to assume that they are all knowing and their rules apply to everyone. It's also hypocritical, since many of those that write the rules also routinely break them.

The problem I have with these rules is that the agencies are arrogant to assume that they are all knowing....

They write the courses...and apply recommendations based on what they teach on that course. That's fair and logical.

The people that write the training programmes know best about what that training program provides.

I've never witnessed a training course in any vocational field of study that did not specify the scope of training provided with the course...or how that scope applied to the practical application of the training post-course. What's different with diving?

...and their rules apply to everyone.

The recommendations apply to those who undertake that course... not to "everyone".

It's also hypocritical, since many of those that write the rules also routinely break them.

It's all relevant.

The recommendations given to an Open Water diver don't necessarily apply to a Technical Trimix Diver.

For instance, it's not hypocritical for a deco trained technical diver to do deco...

...neither is it hypocritical for that technical diver to advocate that an open water diver didn't do deco.

Back
Top Bottom