Safe Diving Practices - Yes or No?

Do you adhere to Safe Diving Practices?

• Yes. All stated practices. Strictly and at all times.

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • Partially. Some of the practices, all of the time.

Votes: 55 48.2%
  • Partially. All of the practices, some of the time.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Never. I don't consider them applicable to me.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Never. I wasn't aware that such agency recommendations existed.

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a question of rules laid down by others that are not understood, just followed, by the diver (e.g., 24 hours to fly) vs. an internalization of the reasons for the rule combined with authoritative knowledge of the subject (e.g., two hours of surface breathing 100% oxygen takes a diver from Group N to Group A, and that's OK to fly).

It is a question of rules laid down by others that are not understood, just followed, by the diver (e.g., 24 hours to fly) vs. an internalization of the reasons for the rule combined with authoritative knowledge of the subject (e.g., two hours of surface breathing 100% oxygen takes a diver from Group N to Group A, and that's OK to fly).

THIS I agree with entirely!

Also, why I disliked the Fundies class material. With minimal "why", the student comes away with standard gas = EAN32 down to 100', and pause-and-slide from mid-point to 10 feet . . . Best mix wasn't discussed at all, and although the END equation for nitrox was given, we never did any calculations nor used its results.

I know I had one person on a boat who had an absolute fit because he ended up with an EAN34, and he only had an EAN32 table . . .

I know I had one person on a boat who had an absolute fit because he ended up with an EAN34, and he only had an EAN32 table . . .
That's classic.:rofl3:

... if ya really wanted to make him frantic you shouldda told him that since it was filled with a non-standard mix the tank would have to be drained and VIPed before he could refill it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... if ya really wanted to make him frantic you shouldda told him that since it was filled with a non-standard mix the tank would have to be drained and VIPed before he could refill it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

:rofl3: I'll keep that one in mind! This was a rental tank, though. I gave him one of mine because I think the dive op owner was ready to shove down his throat.

An an authoritative knowledge of the disciplines that make up diving that leads to a deep tacit understanding of, as well as a holistic and intuitive grasp of situations would dictate no visual jumps, that would not even be open to question since, for an expert, that would be part and parcel. Not needing to rely on rules, guidelines or maxims does not mean that actual practices will not usually mirror them, it means that you will behave correctly without the need for an outside authority dictating that you do so.

So in other words ... an expert doesn't need the rules, because they understand why the rules were created in the first place, and by acting on that understanding they're following the rules anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We all follow exactly the same rules or pay the consequences; few of which are man-made. The list provided by Jax/PADI just dances around the “real rules”.

1. Don’t stop breathing for longer than you can maintain consciousness.

2. Don’t trap gas in your body on ascent.

3. Always maintain minimum body temperature.

4. Avoid getting bent.

5. Don’t get lost at sea.

6. Avoid annoying animals that can kill you.

7. Avoid impact with objects that can injure you.

8. Don’t do things offshore that will get you thrown in the brig.

Notice “Don’t get lonely” and “Return to boat with a third the gas you left with” aren’t on the list. Ask yourself these questions:

1. Is it reasonable to expect a few hours of training to provide the knowledge base to comply with the real rules. My answer is “No”

2. Is it reasonable to teach a simplified set of rules that limits violating the real rules. My answer is “Sure”

3. Are these simplified rules appropriate regardless of skill, expertise, physical prowess, and experience? My answer is “No”

4. Should a diver who is interested in more than casual recreational diving endeavor to develop the knowledge and experience to analyze and evaluate the risks so they can bend or forgo the simplified rules? My answer “Yes, if they plan to stay alive”

In the end it is all a risk calculation. If a Scuba tank explodes on your back you will die or wish you did. It won’t matter how many back up air systems you have, how long your hoses are, how many signaling devices you carry, or how shallow you are. Unfortunately many of the simplified rules have gained the same status to many divers as the laws of physics and physiology.

Last edited:
Also, why I disliked the Fundies class material. With minimal "why", the student comes away with standard gas = EAN32 down to 100', and pause-and-slide from mid-point to 10 feet . . . Best mix wasn't discussed at all, and although the END equation for nitrox was given, we never did any calculations nor used its results.

My Fundies was different, but I walked into the class already nitrox trained with degrees in physical sciences.

I really wanted to choose both "all of the rules some of the time and some of the rules all of the time". I've never followed around a DM cluelessly, or been unaware of my pressure, current bottom time or time to surface. I also haven't ever dove solo, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the rules.

In terms of a stimulating discussion, I'd like to mention a few things, although I don't want to encourage others from overstepping their certification levels so I'll omit specifics.
  • Certification depth limits are easy to step over by a few feet for a few minutes and feel like it's the same thing. Slippery slope is bad.
  • Overhead environments are easy to step into because the first bit "is basically open" water. Especially in sanitized wrecks.
  • Deco is easy to get into because when you already have a five minute time to surface, adding one or two more doesn't seem like a big deal.
  • Insufficient briefing or buddy checks are easy to do if you suspect your buddy thinks it's stupid and you're ridiculously extroverted.

Is it fair to say then that the "rules" are a KISS setup for beginner divers and those that don't want to explore the thinking behind said rules.?

Is it fair to say then that the "rules" are a KISS setup for beginner divers and those that don't want to explore the thinking behind said rules.?

I wouldn’t say that. There is a limit a person can assimilate during their first Scuba course, including my US Navy Scuba course that lasted two weeks, 8 hour/day. You have to give a new diver enough information to keep them safe so they can begin acquiring real world experience. That experience will make the theory relatable in the environment. It takes time and reflection to piece it all together into a reflexive network of understanding.

I personally believe that current training does not provide enough basic information, but I can understand how a lot of casual vacation divers might say “screw this” when faced with the list of “real rules” and an overview of what is required to meet them. I know I have been working on improving my understanding for about 50 years and still have an epiphany now and then. Would diving really be interesting if you knew everything about it?

1. Is it reasonable to expect a few hours of training to provide the knowledge base to comply with the real rules. My answer is “No”

2. Is it reasonable to teach a simplified set of rules that limits violating the real rules. My answer is “Sure”

3. Are these simplified rules appropriate regardless of skill, expertise, physical prowess, and experience? My answer is “No”

4. Should a diver who is interested in more than casual recreational diving endeavor to develop the knowledge and experience to analyze and evaluate the risks so they can bend or forgo the simplified rules? My answer “Yes, if they plan to stay alive”

In the end it is all a risk calculation. If a Scuba tank explodes on your back you will die or wish you did. It won’t matter how many back up air systems you have, how long your hoses are, how many signaling devices you carry, or how shallow you are. Unfortunately many of the simplified rules have gained the same status to many divers as the laws of physics and physiology.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom