Sad news: 5 beached whales on Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoProHonduras

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It loads slow, but here's the video: http://www.utilaeastwind.com/Utila_Pilot_Whale_beaching.AVI

;(
Picture_12.jpg

Hi

Yes it was very unfortunate, I went to see them just after it happened and unfortunately they were already dead, at the moment we have no idea of the cause, and I do not know if we will in the future, tests are going on at the moment but it could take a long while to get certain things tested.

Earlier in the year we had a Cuviers Beaked Whale and it calf beach, I have been here on the island and never known this before and now we have had it happen twice in one year.

To see about the Curviers Beaked Whale look here Deep Blue Resort Utila » Blog Archive » Cuviers Beaked Whale

How very sad. I hope something can be learned from the tests to prevent this in the future.

Us too. Would be very interesting to know if any sonar was in use in the area at the time, but I imagine that's one of those items we'll never know.

Make phone call, Rob. :crafty:

Actually, that wasn't Rob. I guess his login was still on B's computer & I didn't notice... but now that you mention it.... what an exxcellent idea :)

Back
Top Bottom