SAC'ed: A Study on Surface Air Consumption *Revised*

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thatcampbellkid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
*Revised Edition*
It's time to break out those dive logs! :goingdown:

I'm conducting a study on surface air consumption rates for a college research paper. My goal is to see what factors most greatly affect a diver's SAC Rate by conducting a survey asking for limited information about your dives. Specifically, I am asking for age, gender, height, weight, if you smoke, how many dives you have, information about your earliest logged dive, information about your most recent logged dive and how fast you estimate your mile/1.5km run time was at the time of each.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SACed-AStudyOnSurfaceAirConsumptionRates

This link leads to a survey I created for this project. I would greatly appreciate it if you were to fill it out! Not that I am asking for personal information, but participant's responses will not be disclosed anywhere.

I plan to publish the results on what i find in the next month or two. Then you all can figure what you need to do to improve that SAC Rate! And if you just happen to get a friend to fill this out too, it would be alright...
biggrin.gif

Done.

minor problem, it wouldn't let me enter a height in meters that wasn't an integer (I.e. 1,2 ,3, etc..). Not very practical :)

similarly, you might get some interesting tank volumes..... I couldn't put in my twinset of 2x10 L tanks, so the few of us that use twins etc might give you strange volumes e.g. 20L tanks.

Jon

Man, I wonder how many people you are going to find who know what the starting and ending pressures in the tank on their first dive were!

I answered the questions in the imperial section and then it put me into metric and wouldn't let me leave, so I bailed. Is that how it is supposed to work?

Dang! I'm sorry I missed those, I reset the survey and everything is functioning as it should... hopefully!

And thank you for all the quick responses!! You guys are awesome! :D

one thing I would add would do is split your depth in max and average depth. As that has a massive effect on Sac. I could do a bounce dive down to 100ft for all of 2 sec list that as max depth and spend the rest at 20ft. Anyways I listed my average dpeth max was 84 for that one.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2013 at 10:52 PM ----------

Man, I wonder how many people you are going to find who know what the starting and ending pressures in the tank on their first dive were!
I always log starting and end pressures of my dives kind of a pet project to keep track of how my sac changes. I started a about 1.2 for about my first 10 dives dropped down to 0.80 for the next 15ish now I rarely run over 0.60 and usually am around 0.50. Which I think is a pretty good sac for Vancouver island diving ie cold water.

Done but no final result at the end to see what the differences were between my first dive and last one

Sorry! I had this posted on a different form as an Excel sheet that calculated everything out for you, but then I changed it into a survey and reposted it... I totally forgot about that part. But I still plan to publish the results if I can get enough participants :D

We need some more ladies to fill this out!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom