Russian Killed By Crocodile -indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Russian scuba diver killed by crocodile on Indonesian island
The Police of West Papua province have reported the discovery of the savaged body of 37-year old Sergey Lykhvar

BANGKOK, March 30. /TASS/. The Russian embassy in Indonesia is looking for the family of a Russian scuba diver mauled to death by a saltwater crocodile on the Raja Ampat archipelago, an embassy spokesman told TASS on Wednesday.

"Police of West Papua province have reported the discovery of the savaged body of 37-year old Sergey Lykhvar," the spokesman said. "He died from a crocodile attack some days ago."

The diver went missing on March 26

Wow. :(

Are we to assume this happened on a dive?

Wow. :( Are we to assume this happened on a dive?

Yes, it happened on a dive; the translation below is not great but it says he went missing while diving.

http://news.webplatinum.co/in-indonesia-the-russian-diver-was-killed-in-battle-with-the-crocodile/

In Indonesia, the Russian diver was killed in battle with the crocodile

On the island of Raja Ampat in Indonesia was found the body of 37-year-old Russian diver. The man, presumably, was mortally wounded in a fight with a crocodile, reports TASS reported citing local media.

According to the publication Sindonews, the Russians have gone missing while scuba diving on 26 March. His disappearance to the police informed the friends of the diver.

The body of the tourist was found by locals on the shore Tuesday, March 29, with traces of deep wounds, which, according to preliminary estimates of criminalists, could leave a large crocodile.

“We received information about the death of a Russian citizen only today from the authorities of the province of West Papua. Diplomats find out the circumstances of this tragedy,” said TASS press attache of the Russian Embassy in Indonesia Nikolay Karapetyan.

Embassy officials do not call the name of the deceased, however, in the publications of local media, he appears under the name Sergei.

According to rescuers, the animal bit off the tourist’s hand and inflicted deep wounds of the left thigh.

In Raja Ampat, we dove at the mangroves to see this special fish, archer fish, if I recall the name correctly. Some of us expressed our concern about meeting a croc but we were told that we shouldn't expect one on that particular site. The way it was expressed wasn't completely reassuring, yet we went anyway and enjoyed our dive.

I can't help but wonder if the diver was trying to take photographs of the croc. :(

Last edited:
That is so tragic. Crocodiles scare the hell out of me, especially after hearing about other diver fatalities due to attacks.

I'd like to know specifically what dive site was involved. Were they diving a mangrove area by the shore, or was this well out at a traditional oceanic reef site? Just wondering how localized the threat (though I believe very small odds) of attack is.

Richard.

My first thought was that it might have been a "gator dive" or "croc dive". There's some operators in the Central America (and Canada, based on youtube videos) area that promote and sell "croc dives." Is that done in Indonesia as well, and was this one such dive? If I recall correctly it's a similar setup as the baited shark dives that some operators sell.

In Florida, USA we hear ever year or so about a golf ball diver getting bit or killed by gators.

No its simply an area of mangroves that is quite amazing to dive in that by nature is likely to have Aus Saltwater Crocs in there. I do not know the exact location or boat or any details just a guess that it may be the passage. No operator that I know of over this side of the world would do OW Crocodile dives with Salties - you can do a glass cage "dive'' with them in Darwin but AFAIK no one in their right mind would organise a croc dive. Just bad luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom