Russian Killed By Crocodile -indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where, in Canada, do you find crocodiles ?
You don't. I'm just an idiot. The video I watched apparently aired on Canadian TV. I completely missed the beginning of the video where they said "the nile crocodile...."

We were diving the mangroves, as described by Wingy. We were most certainly were NOT on a croc dive of any sort. The majority of us, if not all, were hoping not to come across any signs of them.

I'm only wondering if the diver, seeing one, led him to try and take pictures rather than skeedaddle.

I was talking to one of the LOB operators a couple week ago and they had recently seen them in a couple locations in RA. They were avoiding these places.

Was the victim on a LOB? It didn't sound like that was the case.

On the minor tangent of crocodile diving, I've not heard of one in that area, but there are crocodile dives. Undercurrent has a free access article on an option in Mexico (note: American crocodiles are much different than salt water crocodiles, but they can still kill you...)
XTC Dive Center, Xcalak, Mexico

Crocodiles kill way more people each year than great whites. Like several hundred times more.

Just came back from Kri @ Raja recently. Op said that El Nino is making a slight havoc there. 6 ft. Salt croc was spotted in th Hidden Bay Mangrove area a few times so they forbade us from the usual hidden bay snorkel schedule.

We did dive at the Passage which is also in the mangrove area. Max depth there is about 12-15M w some swift currents at places even the barracudas showed up. I wonder if this will deter ops to dive there.

Honestly the whole area is so remote and "jungley", plenty of places for crocs. But we concluded that the islands dont have much mammals other than human so croc food is likely scarce. Guess that is either good or bad.

There already had been known croc diving accidents at East Papua. Sad to hear on such a beautiful dive site at Raja now.

Last edited:
There was a highly publicized crocodile attack on a diver in Raja's Blue Water Mangroves off the coast of Nampale Island in April 2009. A first hand account by the victim was published here http://www.divernet.com/marine-life/p298660-crocodile-attack!.html. This followed an Oct 2008 scare of a diver being followed by a smaller croc in the same area. Neither of these divers were attempting to photograph the croc. The victim who was attacked was not even diving with his camera.

In checking this article's url I noticed a reddit user posted a photo of a croc taken "on March 8th, 2014 in the Raja Ampat region of Indonesia (West Papua) in the sea around the island of Batanta (Dive Site: Algae Patch 1) on a "muck dive". Estimated length of croc is about 3 metres +/-. Was on a dive trip on [a] live-aboard." Salt Water Croc at about 30m, Indonesia • /r/scuba

I dove the blue water mangroves in Dec 2008 from the same liveaboard whose diver had had the Oct 2008 scare. The possibility of encountering a croc wasn't mentioned to us. When diving a different Raja liveaboard in Mar 2013 I was told that boat would not dive the blue water mangroves, no matter how many divers requested it, due to the 2009 attack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crocodiles kill way more people each year than great whites. Like several hundred times more.
Several hundred? Ok, I'd like to see some facts here.....maybe a linky?

Back
Top Bottom