Run over by a local diveboat: Scubatyme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs:
The Coast Guard is involved, witnesses will be called, and hopefully we can all consider this an attitude adjustment. Sorry to hear others have had trouble. I'll stay on this.

This is very very important! Please provide updates as things develop.

Its a big ocean out there, and drifting in to divers and non-motorized boats who are already undergoing operations is outrageous.

Glad you are safe.

yikes, sounds scary but I'm glad ya'll are ok. They certainly will never have my business....!

I spent the day in the car so was able to chat with a number of Coast Guard and BSO professionals while on the road. I also received an apology from Gary, Scubatyme's owner and driver that fateful day.

For reference, this occurred in Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida, about 2,000 yards or so off Angler's Pier (Commercial Boulevard).

I haven't read the law myself (seriously thanks, though, Collin - I'll get to those links) but a CG investigator was kind enough to walk me through the issues and then an investigator with the BSO marine unit helped complete the picture.

Here's the deal - unless somebody gets hurt or there's damage, this comes under BSO's juristiction. The Florida statute is 327.337 paragraph 4. BSO explained to me that it's not exactly AGAINST THE LAW for a boat to come to within 100' of a diver-down flag. In the event that it was a high-speed approach and seriously dangerous, at the most it would be a mere infraction and an officer would have to WITNESS it.

Gary may be an abrasive jerk (I'm sure even those who know him well would not dispute that a reasonable observer could form this opinion) but I would never say that he's a bad boat driver. He may not respect divers, but he sure has shuttled a great number of us back and forth for some time through these waters. So, it can be argued that a driver with Gary's experience could have approached us closely with the ability to gun the engines before crushing our dive platform.

In fact, his apology implied just that - that I seemed to have the situation under control so he did not regard it as a problem. His apology was consistent with what happened, and the picture is complete in my mind.

So, was his approach unsafe? I felt rushed and didn't get a chance to go through my equipment check with Joe, so I'd say yes without a doubt. I was not "in control" but rather proceeded to focus on survival without wasting time in a shouting match. Nobody got hurt, no equipment was damaged, and my ego isn't even bruised. I thought he had broken a law, but apparently he hasn't and was operating within what we have to assume he considered a "safe tolerance." He'd be the ultimate judge of that, apparently, according to the law.

Do I have to ever dive with Scubatyme again? Do I need to avoid recommending divers (particularly new divers) stay away from him?

In my judgement his disrespect for divers - rushing new divers off the boat and distracting them while they are preparing to enter the water - and his approach of our dive platform suggests that he is less safe than I am comfortable recommending.

So, I'll be warning others "anybody but Scubatyme" when they ask and won't be shy about what I've seen and experienced. He shuttles a lot of instructors, and I would hope that they might consider trying different operators unless somebody other than Gary is driving.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it! All is well that ends well, and I hope we all learned something from this experience - WATCH OUT ABOVE!!

Any other opinions or perspectives would be appreciated...

MikeJacobs:
I also received an apology from Gary, Scubatyme's owner and driver that fateful day.

That's something anyway.

Did he say how he tracked you down? I did email him a link to this thread inviting him to comment.

Marc

That's an outstanding, well balanced and informative summary you wrote! The heads-up on current Florida laws are particularly useful. issues like this are frequently muddled and confused regarding rules and what is/in not allowed, but you took the time and effort to get that info, and more importantly post it to the board. Thanks!

Mike I remember when you took me under your wing when I reintroduced myself to diving. Between you, and Jenny there just ain't two greater people on the planet.

You are also a great diver.

Just one rushed mistake, and you might not be here. A newbie would be a stat in all senses of the word, from active critical care to coroner.

I think you were more than fair to Gary.

We will all learn volumes from this.

Most of all I'm glad your are safe, and a better diver from it all.

:wink:

Wow! Mike, so glad you and Joe are OK and the only thing to come out of this is that we now know the law (and know we need to make changes if we want protection...)

Thanks for the update, and I agree with others you stated what happened and reported in a constructive manner. Good job.

Hopefully there won't be a next time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom