Run over by a local diveboat: Scubatyme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure about US laws, Canadian Collision regulations have nothing in them about diving, BUT, a manned and properly operating vessel MUST do everything possible to avoid a collision with an anchored or moored vessel. Unfortunately your diveyak is not likely to damage his boat, and if it's damaged it could make getting back to shore difficult. So letting him hit it and then yelling foul really not an option, but probably the only thing that would get his attention.
I'd suggest investing in a water proof (they're proofed against being splashed or briefly dunked, you can't dive with it) handheld VHF, they're pretty inexpensive these days. If you found yourself in such a situation again, pick the VHF, turn to the appropriate channel (around here it's 16 for calling and emergencies). Start calling the offending vessel and insist he avoid you. Coast Guard, marine patrols and just about any decent size vessel within a few MILES will hear and most likely the Coasties will reply/respond. An immediate response, with at least witness's to what's being said, will be much more effective than phoning them later in the day.

of course you're right, and without one you're right again you're SOL
Groundhog246:
I'm not sure about US laws, Canadian Collision regulations have nothing in them about diving, BUT, a manned and properly operating vessel MUST do everything possible to avoid a collision with an anchored or moored vessel. Unfortunately your diveyak is not likely to damage his boat, and if it's damaged it could make getting back to shore difficult. So letting him hit it and then yelling foul really not an option, but probably the only thing that would get his attention.
I'd suggest investing in a water proof (they're proofed against being splashed or briefly dunked, you can't dive with it) handheld VHF, they're pretty inexpensive these days. If you found yourself in such a situation again, pick the VHF, turn to the appropriate channel (around here it's 16 for calling and emergencies). Start calling the offending vessel and insist he avoid you. Coast Guard, marine patrols and just about any decent size vessel within a few MILES will hear and most likely the Coasties will reply/respond. An immediate response, with at least witness's to what's being said, will be much more effective than phoning them later in the day.

Groundhog246:
Neat product for a group, but range is limited compared to a VHF and no one such as Coast Guard, etc monitor FRS/GMRS frequencies.
Being paranoid and hyphenated by nature, not thinking much of a few of the operators I've been to sea with, and not knowing what to expect at times, I carry a portable VHF radio in my dry bag. 1 watt, 2-way, swithcable to 5 watts. :crafty:

A man of my own nature. :) Don't bother with the 1 watt setting, leave it on 5 (high), get on channel 16, and yell MAYDAY! Having the lat/long (GPS) would be even better. Would love to see a version of the Rhino with a marine VHF and the GPS, especially if it was DSC compliant. (DSC or Digital Selective Calling VHF's have an emergeny button, that broadcasts an automatic mayday and if attached to a GPS include that info in the broadcast). Any ship hearing it is required to respond.

Attach one to your dive flag so if its run over by either a careless boater or a airheaded jetski, it would call out while you wait below for the rescue. Just tell them you couldn't come up without causing harm to them LOL

As much as it pains me to hear about boaters or people on jetski's I don't know of a way to correct it except to have someone on the beach or a boat nearby with a camcorder and a still camera getting them in action.

I am glad ya'll are ok.

DandyDon:
Being paranoid and hyphenated by nature, not thinking much of a few of the operators I've been to sea with, and not knowing what to expect at times, I carry a portable VHF radio in my dry bag. 1 watt, 2-way, swithcable to 5 watts. :crafty:
Do you carry the dry bag with you during dives?:eyebrow:

If not, what good will the radio be to you if the boat forgets to pick you up after your dive?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom