Rumor: Diving Options in Nebraska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey it is open to the public, I have told lots of people , I was just joking about it being a secret. I hope everyone who dives there enjoys it. I may dive there on weekend of October 25 anyone interested?

Bill, It looks like we need another instructor for our crater trip that same weekend. Do you want to get some more certs?

yes i do I thought you, Jeff O and Bill C were all going

Has anyone had any experience diving Lake Mcconaughy? This is a little different than the sand pits you are talking about but I have heard that there might be some diving opportunities there.

Does anyone remember a sappy movie called The Bridges of Madison County? In it, a writer/photographer was making a book about the old covered bridges in that county. Maybe we need a book or at least a forum thread called The Sand Pits of Nebraska. It would give us information about their locations and qualities. Who knows? Maybe one can have an experience while doing the research that would make a good movie. Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep might be too old for the parts now--maybe Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie would be interested.

Well I would be willing to help with "research" of the Neb. sand pits. It must be better than the local options. Jnickell, dont know how much fun Mcconaughy would be, it might be like diving in Carter lake (to many boats using your bouy as a salom course in a no wake zone).

Big mac used to be great I did my OW cert there in 82, the water level has been so low the last several years it has not been good. I dove there about 4 years ago and the vis was about 2 feet. It used to get to 20 or 25, i have heard the water is up about 8 feet from last year but still is far from full.

Lake Pactola in south dakota is another good dive spot not really any further than the crater or blue hole. Google Heartland scuba out of Kearney, Nebraska and they have some other dive spots listed on their site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom