Rumor: Diving Options in Nebraska

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was not remotely thrilled with the visibility when I conducted an OW class at Chatfield a couple of weeks ago, and I am looking for options for the future.

Someone told me that someone had told her (see how far we are from the source?) that there is a lake in Nebraska, only a couple of hours from Fort Collins, CO, that has reasonable visibility and other nice characteristics. A 3 hour drive from Boulder beats 7 hours to the Blue Hole by a long shot.

Does anyone know anything about such a site?

En Bloc has some pictures from that site on his photos page.

He and Laustimus dove there recently.

Can you help with how to get a look at the photo's? I'm not very good a getting around on the web.

Can you help with how to get a look at the photo's? I'm not very good a getting around on the web.

Here's his photo collection

You can open the Photo Gallery by clicking on "Photo Gallery" in the light blue bar under the Scubaboard logo at the top of the page. You can search by member name to find particular pictures once you're inside the gallery by scrolling down until you see "Member Galleries" on the left. Click on that and then select the first letter of their screen name from the alphabet that's below the first few pictures in that section.
Ber :lilbunny:

Now that my secret dive spot has been revealed feel free to pm me for info.

Now that my secret dive spot has been revealed feel free to pm me for info.

I now feel very bad for bringing up this thread. Reddiver PM'd me almost immediately after I made the initial post. The lakes are apparently fine but very small diving spots with almost no regulations strangling their use for divers, as we have in just about any meaningful location in Colorado. He is very much afraid that if people start flocking there, all that will come to a sad end.

Having just recently driven through Nebraska and after recently talking to my friend reddiver970, I noticed that there are many many lakes that were formed excactly the same way that his "secret dive spot" lakes were formed.
There are numerous sand pits (very large sand pits) along I-80 and other Nebraska highways that have filled in with groundwater. The state has turned these little oasis into parks. We stopped and randomly checked a few of them and they were very clear. The water that filters up through the sand does not carry any sediment with it.
Maybe try some google earth shots along I-80 between Kimball - Sidney - North Platte.

There are actually quite e few sandpits along I 80, they do open water classes in some off of I-80near Kearney.

Boulderjohn, Don't worry I look foward to diving with you and anyone else who is interested, I am sure you will find them much more enjoyable than Carter, Chatfield or Aurora... you can actually see!

Back
Top Bottom