Rumor control - DM logged dive requirements?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're singing to the choir. I was called by PADI (several years back) telling me that they received a complaint from a competitor that I wasn't teaching to PADI standards. The complaint was that my course surpassed the training time specified and that I was imparting "advanced skills" to the students.

Wow, they can really complain about creating a competent diver?

I guess I wouldn't last long with PADI. A phone call like that would rate a "Bl*w me." response and an immediate transition to a different agency.

Terry

One thing I always look back on is the opening part of the Dive Master training video.

It says by being accepted into this program your instructor believes you have what it takes to become a good dive master. Or something along those lines.

Think about what this statement really means, and for those preparing to enter a DM program think about your instructor. Do they believe in your ability to become a good instructor or are they just happy to take you money and give you a card. Try to remember that anyone who is a Open Water Scuba Instructor is able to certify you as a Dive Master. Your instructor may not even really have any experience yet.

Think about when you enter the dive industry will you be proud of what you earned? When you are lined up with 10 other Dive Masters.

Wow, they can really complain about creating a competent diver?

I guess I wouldn't last long with PADI. A phone call like that would rate a "Bl*w me." response and an immediate transition to a different agency.

Terry

Per quality assurance standards PADI must follow up on every complaint filed no matter what it is. And the person in question must be contacted to provide there side of the complaint.

You can file a complaint with PADI saying you think your Instructor pissed in his wetsuit and PADI QA team will contact you and say we are following up on a complaint that says you pee'd in your wetsuit.

What is important is not that PADI made contact about the complaint but what the end result of the complaint was. In my example above the Instructor in question can turn around and say well yes I pee'd in my wetsuit during the class. PADI QA will most likely respond with something like well you may not want to tell your students about this when it happens its not professional. Case closed end of conversation. Note the Instructor is still allowed to pee in his wetsuit its just suggested he not tell a student hey you feel how the water is warmer here its cause I just pee'd.

BTW In no way is this post saying I endorse instructors pee'ing in there wetsuits while teaching a class. Its simply an example.

He also needs to figure out On/Off as that could be a huge disaster especially for a new diver. There is something to be said for experience.

Wow that's horrible! I'm sure Padi would be interested, did you contact them? What type of dive was it? What's the name of the dive center and DM? :popcorn:

Please... don't suggest "all due respect" if you're going to insult me a sentence later. At least be honest...

I'm not sure I understand your point, or if you do, since it lacks any consistency. You said you agree with part of my statement, but you hastily judge me by the # of dives I have displayed on a website, and then finish with the "number of repetitions (dives) is irrelevant" to people's learning.

Frankly, I never looked at the number of dives in your Profile (which it appears is no longer in public view). However, I did look at whether or not you were a DMC/DM/equivalent or higher, as I felt this was more relevant than how many dives you listed. IMHO unless someone is actively pursuing being a Dive Professional, they are not as familiar with dive standards as the Dive Pros who usually consult/use them on an ongoing basis. Hence my "not enough dive background" comment.

I simply stated that since Padi's "20 Basic Scuba Skills for Skill Evaluation" (on page 195 of the Divemaster manual) are mostly remedial then what would adding logged dive requirements achieve if they've long since mastered the skills?

Your quotes say it all: they are for evaluation purposes. Regardless of what exactly is on the list, there still needs to be some method of measuring a candidate's ability to perform certain skills, especially since they should be done to "demonstration quality".

Pax,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom